Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
Showcase cover image for Ingersoll 6520 with shop built detachable + quick-attach loader

General Information

Name
Bob Neumann
Make
Ingersoll
Model
4020PS
Color
Power Red
I just finished up the modifications and loader on my 4020PS. I call it a "6520" because after the modifications, it's more-or-less a 6020, but improved with a detachable loader with quick-attach bucket.

It takes 5 minutes or less to install or detach the loader from the tractor, and just a couple minutes to swap out the bucket/forks. The quick-attach bucket system is based on the system used by Toro Dingos, but widened to 36". I currently have a bucket and a set of 42" pallet forks. I've tested it to lifting 1000 lbs, and it wasn't even struggling at that. The front tires can only take about 3000 lbs, so anything above about 1500 in the bucket starts to get risky.

I started by fabricating a new HD front axle w/ Timken bearing hubs, and moving the tie rod to behind the axle. The front tires are HD 6 ply hi-flotation. Next I reinforced the frame, adding 4"X2"X1/4" angle iron to the frame rails, reinforced the frame where it meets the transaxle, and added triangular struts running up from the sleeve-hitch mounts to the loader crossmember. Bucket tested to 1000lbs, will definitely do more. Greatly improved parking brake, just push the "special" pedal to set the brake.

For hydraulics I chose to machine a power beyond port into the factory TCV and fabricate a custom pb sleeve integrated into a #8 SAE swivel. Then to boost hydro pressure to the PB port, it was necessary to block the factory "accessory lift" pressure relief, and install pressure relief into both of the "accessory lift" work ports at a point after they leave the TCV. For that purpose I created a custom dual-port pressure relief valve. So the deck and 3-pt lifts still have pressure relief at about 400PSI, while the power beyond port delivers about 2300 psi to the loader valve.

To detach the loader, you suspend the back end from a (purpose built steel) sawhorse, pull the two upper 1" pins, and move two hydraulic quick-disconnects. Then back away.

I used a thin/low profile crossmember, so the mower deck still has "full" travel. (90% plus of original). The new front axle has slightly improved turning radius vs. factory. Front Snap-fast attachments still function as normal. Operator ingress/egress is very good from either side, loader installed or not.

Rear tires are loaded with RV Antifreeze, (118lbs each) and the bucket will pick up 1000lbs with no addtional counterweight. (But rear tires become very light with that weight) For full bucket capabiltiy, simply pick up a single 330 lb concrete counterweight with the 3 pt. hitch.

For slick/muddy work, 2-link tire chains are required. It's not quite as good as ag-1's but ag's are poor for mowing, so it's a necessary tradeoff.

My goal was to learn from every commercial and private loader build out there and create the very best loader possible while keeping the tractor's factory capabilites fully intact. I also documented the process along the way. I'd like to think that I achieved my goal, though I couldn't have done it without studying and learning from both Case's original commercial loader and the many shop-built loader projects that have come before.



Detaching Loader: 5 minutes



Attaching Loader: 5 minutes


Replacing Bucket/Implement: 2 minutes


Comments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
Call me impressed! You seem to have covered most all the features and design that a good loader should have! more later.
 
Top