Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's a 448 case tractor selling locally. seller claims tractor will need a rebuild but worst case scenario it will need a replacement motor. the rest of the tractor is in decent shape and comes with a deck. how much can i expect in costs on a rebuild of the 18hp onan if i do it myself? if i take it to a shop? if i need a replacement? thanks in advance

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you were to hand the complete Onan to an experienced, competent engine rebuilder who would conduct a thorough rebuild, then you should budget two grand. Onan parts are expensive and if you give it to some shop that does a half-ass job, then you run the risk of it blowing up on you in the not too distant future. You can re-power the tractor with a brand new Vanguard but that won't save you very much money because you will need an electric clutch kit as well as the engine.

Here's the bottom line. A Case tractor with a dead engine is only worth about $200.00 to $300.00 tops. Seller's often ask for a lot more but the reason they are selling the tractor is because they don't want to dump nearly two grand into it. A running 448 with a deck will only bring $900.00 to $1200.00, depending upon condition and location. Do not enter into this deal unless you intend to keep this tractor for at least ten years. No one will pay you big bucks just because the motor is new or rebuilt.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You have to look upon this with the phrase "Worst case scenario." You don't own the tractor yet. You have no idea how many hours are on that Onan. You have no idea whether it was maintained to the nth degree or totally neglected. You don't know if it has one or two broken rods in it or no broken rods. In order to determine what it will take to rebuild that engine, it will have to be torn down completely and be measured by someone who knows all of the areas that need to be measured. Only then will you know which parts must be purchase new and what machine shop work must be carried out. Secondly, machine shop rates vary widely across the country and that too is an unknown factor to all of us on this forum.

If you want some idea as to how costly Onan items are, then go to www.Onanparts.com and talk with them but you will need the model number of the engine first.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Oifla, if you don't have a warm fuzzie feeling about this tractor maybe you should let it slide. Patience is an admiral quality , especially when buying used toys. It seems there are quite a few GT out their, if its meant to be - it will be. have a good day---oldfrank---

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.