Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research on the site and found a few examples of people running 18X8.50-8 front tires on the 400 series but none using them on 4000 series. There's not very much clearance between the stock tires' sidewalls and the drag link arms on the spindles and I figure the ballooned-out sidewall of a wider tire on the factory rim might make contact. On the other hand, the 400 and 4000 series axles and spindles are nearly the same and if they fit one, they should fit the other.

If I buy 9.5x16 ags for the rear I think the larger 18X8.50-8 V61's would look great but I'm not willing to fool around with the spindles or wheels to make them fit.

I appreciate any wisdom on the matter!

· Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Also check your current clearance from the back of the tires to the frame on the left and the steering linkage on the right, with the steering turned to the stops. To see if the bigger tires will clear in sharp turns.

Cheers,
Gordy

· Registered
501 Posts
If they'll work on the 400 series, then they'll work on the 4000 series.

But I would be mildly surprised if they don't rub some on hard turns on either type of machine.

And without power steering, the force required to turn the steering wheel will be increased, maybe noticeably.

Bob

· Registered
501 Posts
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tractor

I put them on my 4020 as part of the loader build. But I made a custom front axle as part of the project. So it doesn't speak to the factory axle. And I think that I may have increased the track width of the front wheels a little bit from stock, which would help to minimize the rubbing situation.

As it is my right tire rubs the power steering cylinder a little bit on really hard right turns. But everything else is free and clear.

Bob

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies Bob, they definitely look good on your machine. They dont look like they overhang the rims very far and it appears there would be room for them on my factory axles and spindles.

I was going off of some older pictures of Quartercase's tractor that he set up for plowing. Granted he stretched the frame 6" and added power steering but in his post he said there were no interference issues.

I dont know what to think about steering effort. I would think larger diameter wheels would roll easier.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For clarity: mine are wheel/tire combo's, not the factory wheels. I don't know how this tire size would look on factory rims.

Bob
So your rims are wider than the factory rim? Are they a snowmobile trailer wheel/tire combo?

I can get a 18X8.50-8 trailer tire locally to mount on a factory rim and if it doesn't work I can return it a lot cheaper than shipping V61's across the country.

· Registered
501 Posts
So your rims are wider than the factory rim? Are they a snowmobile trailer wheel/tire combo?

I can get a 18X8.50-8 trailer tire locally to mount on a factory rim and if it doesn't work I can return it a lot cheaper than shipping V61's across the country.
I think they are actually golf cart wheels/tires. Although I had to look far and wide to find 4-ply golf cart tires.

In my case I was looking for adequate load rating for the front loader.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts