Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like a nice rig.... :thumbsup:

Ebay Item#110635372626

1966 Case Garden Tractor
Model 190 , W/ 12 Hp Kohler Motor
Motor Runs Good
Hydrolic Driven
Has small hydrolic leak
40" Hydrolic Rear Rototiller
46" Mower Deck
AG Tires Loaded

OK... What do you experts think???
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Point of view is the key issue here.

As a collector, I find this unit very desirable. It's in really nice shape for its age and it has the rear pto/fcv valve plus the old style tiller.

The current price is under $800.00. That's about what I'd want to pay for it but I bet that it will bring more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Yeah, that's a beauty. A 190 is the next model I want to add to my collection. I'm more than a little dissappointed that I don't have that kind of cash right now, but I'm sure something else will turn up.

Speaking from experience, the tiller is hard to find. Took me ages to find mine, and it needed a lot of work. I'd pay a bit more (if I had it), considering the good condition of everything.

Chris
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Phaon said:
Yeah, that's a beauty. A 190 is the next model I want to add to my collection. I'm more than a little dissappointed that I don't have that kind of cash right now, but I'm sure something else will turn up.

Speaking from experience, the tiller is hard to find. Took me ages to find mine, and it needed a lot of work. I'd pay a bit more (if I had it), considering the good condition of everything.

Chris
Chris,
As a collector, I'm sure that YOU will completely understand what I say.

On one hand, the collectors of this world would find that 190/tiller combo something that we'd want to add to our collection but now we are faced with the dilemma of how much we can afford to pay. Personally, I would not want to pay even $800.00 for that unit. I'd much rather pay half that amount or less. Now if that makes me sound cheap, then I have a question for all those who are willing to tack that tag under my screen name.

If I pay $1000.00 for this tractor and spend $1000.00 on it in provable out-of-pocket expenses to restore that tractor and tiller back to showroom condition and another $2000.00 in personal labor value, which one of you rich guys want to pay me $4000.00 for it when I'm done? Right now, we have another C/L offering for a tractor that someone poured lots of money and personal time into and he wants $7000.00 for it. Not a single person responding to that thread so far, thinks that his creation is worth any where close to his asking price.

That's the problem with this hobby. Collectors have to work hard to find low cost tractors to bring back to life. We take them to shows and people walk by and ooh and ahh and say.... I wish I owned an old tractor like that. But not one of them are willing to pay you a dime for all the time it took you to FIND that tractor for cheap money, haul it home, tear it apart, remove all the grease, dirt, rust and paint, repair or replace all the problem parts and then put it back together after priming, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding and then painting it. The reality is that you are lucky if you recover every dime you have invoices for. However, there are hidden costs known as "overheads" that never get factored in. How about the wear and tear on all the tools I bought or the electricity and heat? How about the value of the shop space in my home? Collectors are crazy. We restore these old tractors because doing so makes us happy. And when we show them and see that what we did makes the visitors happy, then we are happy once again.

No one should restore a tractor in the belief that there is money to be made.

Someone once described boat ownership the following way. "A boat is essentially a hole in the water that you throw money in.....endlessly."

Collecting old GT's is something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just Sold

1966 Case Tractor Model # 190 , 12 Hp Kohler Runs Good
Item condition: Used
Ended: Jan 19, 201110:03:02 PST
Winning bid: US $1,124.99 [ 30 bids ]
Shipping: Local pick-up offered.

Hydrive was right.... It brought more :clap: .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Good for the Seller. I am not unhappy that he got that kind of money.


Here's the big unknown.

Who bought this tractor? Why did he buy it? How much knowledge does he have about what he bought?


In my opinion, only a collector with very deep pockets would pay that much for it. However, if someone with no past experience with Case products saw this and bought it to put it to work in his veggie garden, then it's a bargain at that price. As I said in my earlier post, it all comes down to point of view. Some people will agree with my value assessment while others will totally disagree. I have no problem with that. We are all here to discuss, learn and share thoughts. It would be one boring world if we all thought the same thing.
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
3,601 Posts
I gave you thanks for that post even though you almost have double the amount I do. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

*edit*

Check that you almost have 2.5x as many. :headscratcher: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Snotrocket said:
I gave you thanks for that post even though you almost have double the amount I do. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

*edit*

Check that you almost have 2.5x as many. :headscratcher: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't hate me because I'm beautiful. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Yeah, I agree on the money thing. I know darn good and well that I'll be lucky to get materials out of a tractor, let alone labor cost. It's a labor of love, for sure - as I'm sure it is for a lot of us here. I've been casually looking for a 190 for 10 years, so I seriously doubt I'll sell one if and when I do get it. Considering I've had my 155 for over 20 years, it's fair to say I'm this 100 series thing for the long haul. :lol:

For my own personal enjoyment, I'd drop 1K on a 190 that doesn't need much more than a good paint job. My 120 certainly cost more than it's worth from an "investment" perspective, but it's a rare one.

If I didn't already have a tiller, I would have gone after this one. Oh well, next time :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
I had been watching this as well, but didn't want to pay more than $500 for it. I already have a 190 and don't plan on growing a garden.

I do hope a collector got it and not someone who will just tear it up.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Caseman2 said:
I had been watching this as well, but didn't want to pay more than $500 for it. I already have a 190 and don't plan on growing a garden.

I do hope a collector got it and not someone who will just tear it up.

Tightwad.


:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Ya know Tom I keep kicking myself for not springing on that 120 on ebay, money was so tight at the time, I'll just keep looking.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Caseman2 said:
Ya know Tom I keep kicking myself for not springing on that 120 on ebay, money was so tight at the time, I'll just keep looking.
If only I had a G-note for every time I heard that lament............ I'd be able to afford more tractors. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I'm with you on that 120 thing. I was looking for one for almost 10 years. Let one slip by on eBay that got too rich for my blood. Head back to visit the in-laws for Xmas one year... and there's one for sale two houses down the street :eek:. Walked down, paid, drove it back and stuck it in my mother-in-laws garage :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Phaon said:
I'm with you on that 120 thing. I was looking for one for almost 10 years. Let one slip by on eBay that got too rich for my blood. Head back to visit the in-laws for Xmas one year... and there's one for sale two houses down the street :eek:. Walked down, paid, drove it back and stuck it in my mother-in-laws garage :lol:
Okay so where does your mother-in-law live? :twisted: :lol:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top