Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to posting a few shots of the restoration of my '72 442. I spent quite a bit of time asking questions on here as I worked on it all last winter and early spring. For those who don't know, I have always been a Case collector (larger equipment) but this is my first garden tractor.

I bought it in 2006 (I think) and didn't really do much with it until last summer. This whole project began with a leaky governor shaft in the K301, and it snowballed from there. The farther in I got, the more I decided to do.
All said and done, here is what I did:

Complete rebuild with genuine Kohler parts. .010 over piston, ground crank, new main bearings, governor parts, valves, valve springs, and ignition components.

Complete rebuild of the transaxle. All new bushings/bearings, and seals. New grade 8 carrier bolts.

New rubber all the way around from Miller Tire.

4 wheel weights

Front axle was rebushed and plates were built up and line bored by a machine shop

New ball joints

Complete wiring harness and components

New clutch disk and bearings

Added hyd deck lift

Added NOS 3 point hitch kit

Found a good set of Speaker 777's

Had the Nelson muffler ceramic coated so it holds it's finish

I had a buddy re-foam and cover the original seat pan. I didn't like any aftermarket ones I found.

I did all the work with the exception of the machining of the block and crank, the machining of the front axle, and the paint. I have
a friend that has a gift with a paint gun, so he painted it piece by piece as I put it together.

All in all, it was a fun project. It was very challenging at times, as it is the first garden tractor I have done. I need to thank the following people for their help:

Gator Rider2, Dave Beiter, Carrie from Maple Hunter Decals, Bob Myers (Myers Lawn and Garden), and (politically correct or not) Tom Arnold. My apologies if I'm forgetting anyone else. This forum is an invaluable resource for the Case garden tractor addict. You guys really have put together something that is unmatched elsewhere.

Ask questions and/or tell me what I did wrong. Thanks for looking!

Here's what I started with.

Teardown started late summer 2012

Back together and running

Chassis after the paint shop

Getting closer....

The finished product

A shot with my 1968 Case 960 combine, 1959 Case 800LP Case-O-Matic with Case 426 mounted picker

· Administrator
8,410 Posts
Great Job
Looks like you have been doing this for a long time.
Great project real good detail like how you did the seat and the muffler.
Good job on the restoration and Thank You for the Pictures. :thumbsup:
:casegt: :paintjob: :casegt: :paintjob: :casegt:

Bigman :usa:

· Banned
2,076 Posts
Wart ECIL said:
I'm finally getting around to posting a few shots of the restoration of my '72 442. I spent quite a bit of time asking questions on here as I worked on it all last winter and early spring. For those who don't know, I have always been a Case collector (larger equipment) but this is my first garden tractor.

I bought it in 2006 (I think) and didn't really do much with it until last summer. This whole project began with a leaky governor shaft in the K301, and it snowballed from there. The farther in I got, the more I decided to do.
All said and done, here is what I did:

Complete rebuild with genuine Kohler parts. .010 over piston, ground crank, new main bearings, governor parts, valves, valve springs, and ignition components.

Complete rebuild of the transaxle. All new bushings/bearings, and seals. New grade 8 carrier bolts.

New rubber all the way around from Miller Tire.

4 wheel weights

Front axle was rebushed and plates were built up and line bored by a machine shop

New ball joints

Complete wiring harness and components

New clutch disk and bearings

Added hyd deck lift

Added NOS 3 point hitch kit

Found a good set of Speaker 777's

Had the Nelson muffler ceramic coated so it holds it's finish

I had a buddy re-foam and cover the original seat pan. I didn't like any aftermarket ones I found.

I did all the work with the exception of the machining of the block and crank, the machining of the front axle, and the paint. I have
a friend that has a gift with a paint gun, so he painted it piece by piece as I put it together.

All in all, it was a fun project. It was very challenging at times, as it is the first garden tractor I have done. I need to thank the following people for their help:

Gator Rider2, Dave Beiter, Carrie from Maple Hunter Decals, Bob Myers (Myers Lawn and Garden), and (politically correct or not) Tom Arnold. My apologies if I'm forgetting anyone else. This forum is an invaluable resource for the Case garden tractor addict. You guys really have put together something that is unmatched elsewhere.

Ask questions and/or tell me what I did wrong. Thanks for looking!
Would you tell us what you spend and the total hours you put in the project

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.