Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Does the 1974 Case 444 use a proprietary voltage regulator for this tractor? I have replaced the voltage regulator (quality aftermarket 4 post) , condenser, coil, spark plug & wire, points, battery, solenoid, and had the starter generator rebuilt. The only part that hasn't been replaced is the key switch. I am still only seeing 12.28 volts at the battery with the engine running full throttle. The field side of the S/G housing is also getting very hot. It's acting like it's backfeeding into the S/G and not letting current pass through the voltage regulator . I'm stumped at this point. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
Try doing voltage checks from the source (S/G) back to the battery by working backwards through each cable connection. Ground the voltmeter first at the S/G mounting bracket, record voltages. Then repeat the procedure using the batt negative post core as a ground. Tell me if you see if difference and at which point.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
PS You only have one or two connections in the wires. The idea is to see if there is a resistance in the heavy cable circuit, when the reported voltage is low somewhere causing the field to go to full output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the voltage regulator need to be polorized on these tractors? I know it needs to be done on some other makes. Just not sure about this tractor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Problem solved!...I tried to take a reading at the S/G but my multimeter was giving very erratic readings. The meter display was all over the place! I thought I may have a ground issue so I did a careful inspection of the ground wires. The small ground wire that comes off the solenoid neg. to the back of the VR where the generator indicator light also connects was the culprit. It was not making contact because it had gotten hot at some point over the last 40 years. When I took that wire off to inspect it, the wire broke in half from being so brittle. That small ground was basically burnt up so I made a new ground wire and that solved the problem. I'm not good with electrical troubleshooting so I just want to thank jbadman for sending me in the right direction as I was at my wits end after burning up an armiture in the S/G and having to have it rebuilt all because of a simple little ground wire. jbadman, you are the man!!! Thanks again!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
You are most welcome! I got you headed the right direction, that's good...you made my day...

BTW, 90% of electrical problems are caused by ground issues, by design.

Good job, Fergi!!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top