Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post the Before and After pics now and add the in-between pics as I get time.
I did the best I could to restore this as "factory correct" as I could. I added a holding valve otherwise it's the way it would have come new.
Mechanically this tractor was working, but after tearing into it, it proved to be very umm... :crazy: extremely well used.
I invested around $3,000 for the completion of this restoration. The purchase of the tractor and the engine rebuild being the bulk of the costs. Every part that had medium to excessive wear was fixed or replaced. It's like driving a new tractor now! :thumbup: :usa:
All Genuine CASE Ingersoll parts were used along with purchasing a few parts that were the last on the shelf and no longer available. :eek:
The project for this 2011/2012 winter is the "white" deck restoration.
BEFORE...

TORN COMPLETELY APART...

PAINT...

AFTER...

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bart said:
Very nice indeed!!! I doubt even Hilda will be able to see any overspray. :sidelaugh:
Hilda has examined the above photos carefully and has nothing but high praise for the workmanship exhibited. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Members should take note.

Mjoe7 has taken a well-worn tractor and turned it into what is essentially a brand new machine for a mere $3000.00. A truly new Ingersoll from a dealer today would cost around the $8000.00 mark, give or take. Yes...you would get a few more HP and perhaps Power Steering but the capability and longevity of both tractors would be about the same. I don't know about you but I'd rather have the 5 grand sitting in the bank and do without the Power Steering and the few extra HP.

While both tractors will give "Pride of Ownership", the fully restored Black Frame 446 is the Winner in that category.

Congratulations Mjoe7. Your tractor is gorgeous. Nice job. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Looks Fantastic Mjoe :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad you found a Pristine Seat to Top Off the Project. :thumbsup: :trink: :trink:

OEM is a great way to go. :thumbsup:

What's its first Job ? :trink:

Thanks for Posting, looking forward to the progress pictures :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Hydriv said:
Mjoe7 has taken a well-worn tractor and turned it into what is essentially a brand new machine for a mere $3000.00. A truly new Ingersoll from a dealer today would cost around the $8000.00 mark, the capability and longevity of both tractors would be about the same. I don't know about you but I'd rather have the 5 grand sitting in the bank and do without the Power Steering and the few extra HP.
All well made points, but I`ve heard tell of some folks who collect these things having eleventy-seven of them stacked in racks...
20 times $250 = $ 5000
That`s a lot of trips to the pigtail salon...or, nights out at the Haufbrau with Hogan. :wave:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
99flhr said:
Hydriv said:
Mjoe7 has taken a well-worn tractor and turned it into what is essentially a brand new machine for a mere $3000.00. A truly new Ingersoll from a dealer today would cost around the $8000.00 mark, the capability and longevity of both tractors would be about the same. I don't know about you but I'd rather have the 5 grand sitting in the bank and do without the Power Steering and the few extra HP.
All well made points, but I`ve heard tell of some folks who collect these things having eleventy-seven of them stacked in racks...
20 times $250 = $ 5000
That`s a lot of trips to the pigtail salon...or, nights out at the Haufbrau with Hogan. :wave:
I think that you missed the point.

My comment was not directed at those who collect these tractors but rather at the members who bought one to perform work during the 4 seasons of the year. Mjoe7 has done what truly needs to be done to a well-used 26 year-old tractor that he wants to be reliable and also to work the way it did when it was new. Anyone who has torn one of these tractors down to the bare frame will tell you that they discovered all sorts of things wrong with it that they had no idea were there. The whole purpose of this exercise is to discover all those lurking issues and eliminate all of them in one go so that you can have years of trouble-free enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hydriv said:
99flhr said:
Hydriv said:
20 times $250 = $ 5000
I think that you missed the point.

My comment was not directed at those who collect these tractors but rather at the members who bought one to perform work during the 4 seasons of the year. Mjoe7 has done what truly needs to be done to a well-used 26 year-old tractor that he wants to be reliable and also to work the way it did when it was new. Anyone who has torn one of these tractors down to the bare frame will tell you that they discovered all sorts of things wrong with it that they had no idea were there. The whole purpose of this exercise is to discover all those lurking issues and eliminate all of them in one go so that you can have years of trouble-free enjoyment.
Hydriv You read my mind. That was exactly my thinking when doing this restoration. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys for all the comments. It really makes me feel good. :grin: It makes all the extra time and effort worth it even when some people were trying to get me to go the easier or cheaper route I stuck to my guns and I got it within 98% of what my final goal was.
ENGINE REBUILDING...
AT MACHINE SHOP...

FINISHED...

PTO...

ENGINE ON AND READY...

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Mjoe7 said:
Thank you guys for all the comments. It really makes me feel good. :grin: It makes all the extra time and effort worth it even when some people were trying to get me to go the easier or cheaper route I stuck to my guns and I got it within 98% of what my final goal was.
Serves you right for hanging around MTF so much. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.