Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Nice background right there. Thanks.

Yes I have a few scratches in it already. Most of them are on the front of the hood where it hits the snow caster when its open and the engine is running. I'm not going to complain about since its unavoidable. What I will complain about is when I go into the shed and see my sons bike leaning up against the fender. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I keep going into my shed to just stare at it and smile. I wish my 446 looked as good as this one does but that one is my workhorse and it wouldnt look nice and shinny for long.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
HAHA. Im still not done. I still have my cab I need to rebuild and paint and install on my 446. I will be doing that this summer along with a weight box. I will be busy all summer long with these things.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My tractor came with white wheels but I decided to paint them silver because I think it looks better. As for my hood, I sand blasted it and then decided to just buy another one due to how much pitting was on the original. It wasn't worth the time and effort to get the surface smooth again.
I lucked out and found the hood locally and paid $50 for it along with a spare set of wheels.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I would think twice about applying a clearcoat over the hood decals. It will look good at first but over time, the clearcoat on the edge of the decals will begin to crack and peel. Once this happens there is no quick fix. You must pull the decals and either repaint the hood or try and wetsand the clear and re clear it. Unless your tractor will be sitting out in the sun all day 7 days a week, I dont see an issue with the decals fading from the UV rays anytime soon. By the time that happens you will have 10 new machines in your stable to play with.

I have never worked with the filler you plan on using so I cant comment to much on its durability but just remember that the hood will be subjected to a lot of vibration and heat both from the engine and the sun beating down on it so make sure it can hold up over time. If you have a few pics of the hood after it is blasted then post them up so we can see the before and after process. Oh and once you blast it, take a good look at the hinge area on the hood. Put a few more tack welds in this area if it shows signs of fatigue.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.