Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on the 200 series. I have been looking at buying a 200 series and restoring it. From what I have read on the forum, it appears all the 200 series (220, 222, 224, 226) are the same except for the engine size? Is that correct?

The reason I'm asking is; If I can find a good 220 I could upgrade the engine from the 10 HP to 14 HP by finding a 226 engine? Are the mounts the same and it's just a simple change over?

Same question for the 400 series. If you want to restore a 400 series can you find a good frame and just easily swap engines from a 444, 446 or 448?

By the way. My reason for rebuilding this would be to use. I would like to find a tiller, snowcaster and front blade to use on it. I like the 200 series because I do like the smaller tires, but am concerned about a 3 point hook-up or a sleeve hitch for the tiller and other implements to pull.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
877 Posts
210' s are different. 220 222 and 224 use kohlers, 442and 444 used kohlers. Engines will swap around. 446 and 448 use Onans, those will interchange. If you are doing a true restore, then you really should stick with the same engine in whatever you are working on. If it's "just a work tractor" then go with what's available without hacking up the tractor. Save the origional engine, if you don't you will kick yourself in the butt later. 200 series will take a sleeve hitch with no problem, but the three point was designed for the 400s. Good luck in finding a tractor to your liking, keep an eye out here, there are plenty that get posted here and members here will help you out. As far as changing horsepower, IE: larger, from what I understand you won't really notice much difference if any. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There were four models in the 200 Series. The 210, 200, 222, 224 all used Kohler engines. The 226 used an Onan twin.

Only the 210 has a gear transmission. All others are hydraulic drive. The last digit in the model number indicates the HP. The 226 is 16 HP, the 224, 222, 220 and 210 models have 14, 12 and 10 HP in them.

You can easily upgrade a 10 HP 220 to a 224 by changing the engine. Putting an Onan into a Kohler powered tractor or vice-versa is not something that we would advise due to frame mods being needed. You are far better off to come here each dare and READ for awhile and then make up your mind as to which tractor best suits your needs.

There are four models in the 400 hundred series. The 442 came with a 12 HP Kohler but was only made for 3 years. I would advise you to forget this model. The 444 has a 14 HP Kohler and is an excellent tractor choice. The 446 and 448 models came with Onan engines and those can be twice as expensive to rebuild as the Kohler.

The three point hitch made by Case was not to be installed on the 200 models but if you are adamant about owning a 200, then you can buy the newer HH-34 hitch designed by Ingersoll to work on both series. However, it costs more money and you need the correct rear PTO control to go with it.

Sleeve hitches are available for both models and work well with the tiller.

Rough costing for the items mentioned.

Tiller – up to $450.00

Snowcaster – up to $450.00

Sleeve hitch – up to $225.00

Three-point - up to $600.00 depending on model and condition

Rear PTO - up to $200.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there two different tillers for the 200/400 series? What I mean is there one that is set up for the 3 point and one set up for the sleeve hitch?, or is it just add on mounts for the hitch with the same basic tiller model?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also; I have been reading a lot on the forum search. It sounds like some people feel the smaller 10 or 12 hp engines don't work well with the tiller and snowcaster.

Users of the tiller and snowcaster: What size engines/models do you use them with and have you had issues with the 220 or smaller hp engines using the attachments?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
There are two sizes of snowblowers, a 38" and a 48", designed for the 200 and 400 series respectively though they are fully interchangeable among different models. The wider snowblower is desirable for the 400 models because it will clear the full track width of the tractor whereas the 38" blower will not.

The higher horsepower available in each model is primarily of value in handling the belt driven attachments, specifically the snowblowers and mower decks. A 10 hp model will handle the 38" mowers with no difficulty but would bog down with a 48" deck in heavy grass. Similarly, they would not provide satisfactory with the large snowblowers and may be a little small for even the smaller snowblower in heavy snow conditions.

Based upon your stated intentions to use it for tilling and snowblowing I think a 14 hp model would be a good choice. The smaller wheel 200 models and large wheel 400 models have the same transaxle and frame as well as the same engines so they can both get the job done quite nicely. The big wheels are advantageous for using a lot of work with ground engaging attachments such as plows and rear blades.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The Case and Ingersoll tillers will work on the 400, 600 and 200 models that have hydraulic drive. The 210 model uses a special mechanical tiller that is belt driven.

All hydraulic drive Case and Ingersoll tillers are sleeve hitch mount except for the very early ones back in the early 60's. If you have tractor with the three point hitch, you just add a sleeve hitch adapter to mount the tiller or any other sleeve hitch implement such as a plow, disc harrows and cultivators.

The tiller is 41 inches wide but it can be narrowed for use with the 10 hp tractor quite easily. Soil conditions matter as does the condition of the engine and hydraulic pump. The lower HP 200's use the 38 inch snowcaster and the 44 inch plow blade. They can also use the 38 and 44 inch mowing decks.

The 224 can easily handle the 54 inch plow blade, 41 inch tiller, 44 or 48 inch mowing decks and the 48 inch snowcaster. Under some conditions, the 12 horse 222 can also handle those attachments but you are pushing the limit.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Tom, (OP), I have a 1986 220 that I just went right through and rebuilt to almost new condition. I pulled the 10hp Kolher engine and replaced it with a 14hp Kolher and it is night and day difference with the 38" snowcaster I have for it. The only reason for me replacing the engine is because I got a really good deal on it and the orignal engine was getting tired. I still have plans for that engine someday. There is a thread in the restorations section of the forum that shows my tractors progress from start to finish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should say. This tractor would be only to use with implements. I have a John Deere GT245 for mowing. I like it for mowing but don't like the idea of all the belt driven attachments. I also like the look and love the function of my wide front JI Case 531C tractor. So, I am looking to get a tractor to match the 530 series field tractor, but one that will pull the tiller in the garden, blow the snow, and basically be the workhouse around the house. Not for mowing. So for hp comparison that is what I am looking for information on, what HP or model, etc to really use the implements. The tiller, snowcaster and blade.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
with that being said, I would look for a good running 400 series tractor. Im not sure what your budget either. You could score a running tractor with some attachmenta for $1000 or lower. I wouldnt go and do a full blown out restore on something you plan on using as a workhorse tractor. That is the exact reason why I bought a 446. It will be my workhorse around the yard and my 220 will be just for mowing the grass and look cool in front of my neighbors.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
thompson1600 said:
I guess I should say. This tractor would be only to use with implements. I have a John Deere GT245 for mowing. I like it for mowing but don't like the idea of all the belt driven attachments. I also like the look and love the function of my wide front JI Case 531C tractor. So, I am looking to get a tractor to match the 530 series field tractor, but one that will pull the tiller in the garden, blow the snow, and basically be the workhouse around the house. Not for mowing. So for hp comparison that is what I am looking for information on, what HP or model, etc to really use the implements. The tiller, snowcaster and blade.
I suggest that you look for a 1972 to 1975 Case 444.

It uses the same Desert Sunset paint as your 530C in combination with the red frame and undercarriage. Putting a three-point hitch and rear PTO on that tractor will be a simple task. You can power the tiller and other attachments plus all of the sleeve hitch and CAT 0 three point hitch attachments can be used as well. The Kohler is inexpensive to rebuild and is just as powerful as the 446 with the Onan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been searching and can't find a listing of which model Kohler engines went into the 200 and 400 series tractors? What are the part numbers of the Kohler for the 220, 222 and 224? 442 and 444 the same as 222 and 224? I think the K321 is the 14 HP version for the 224, but did case us the K321AS? I am looking for exact numbers so I can search craigslist and ebay and ... for the different engines. I see John Deere used the K321 also in some of their machines, same engine as Case Ingersoll used? Thanks for any info, and remember I may not be asking the question right but trying :facepalm: :) Mainly just want to know which model Kohler engines go with which model Case tractor in the 200/400 series.

K241xx = 10hp? K301xx = 12 hp? K321xx = 14 hp?

Thanks

Tom

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Case used Kohler K engines starting in 1965 and continued to use them until 1988 when the 3 digit models ended and the 4 digit models began.

You need to understand that there is very little difference between a 200 and 400 series tractor. There is a document in the FAQ's that explains this so it would be redundant for me to cover old ground in this thread.

Engines used

10 HP K241-AS C24784 Spec PF46746D for the 210 and 220 models

12 HP K301-AS C24785 Spec PF47612D for the 222 and 442 models

14 HP K321-AS C24786 Spec PF60324D for the 224 and 444 models except for 1969 and 1970 444's that used a slightly different spec number.

Yes, Kohlers have been used in a huge number of tractor brands but not all Kohlers are the same. Case spec'd a different oil pan. They also used a very short crank stub but engines with long stubs can be cut down to suit. However, Case engines have a unique feature on the crank output side of the casting that allows the mount for the hydraulic pump to be properly aligned to the block. Many engines on other brands do not have that feature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.