Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought this case home, the parking brake handle was forced through the firewall? and jammed up against the crankcase. after several hours of trying to get it back through the slot i had to unhook the spring. when i got back through the slot and put visegrips on to hold it there, i see another smaller spring hanging loose on the other side of the larger spring. even after looking at every manual i could find, i can't figure where the smaller spring attaches. i see the spring in the manual, but the possible attach points do not seem to match my machine. my serial # 9722531? any help would be appreaciated since i don't have a heated place to work on this and it's getting chilly here. i don't want to be thinking about brakes all winter, lol pics in the gallery. Wauconda,Il. 60084

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
There are two springs, one that attaches to the arm on the bottom of the travel control lever that has a slot in it. This smaller diameter spring has a longer end on one end and that end is the one that goes in the slot, the other hooks on the rod attached to the brake pedal. The purpose of this spring is to pull the travel lever back to the neutral position when the brake is engaged.

The other spring connects to the flat piece that should extend through the slot on the bottom left of the steering pedestal. This is the brake lock and the spring should hold the lock so that the slot on the lower side catches on the bottom of the slot in the steering pedestal to hold the brake in the engaged position. This one is a bit different than on the later models I'm more familiar with but it appears that the larger diameter spring slides over the brake lock lever.

Just so you understand, the brake on this tractor is strictly a parking brake so most of us don't spend a lot of time worrying about it unless we have to park on slopes. The travel control lever is intended to not only make the tractor go forward but also to stop it.

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
I understand you want to fix the brakes (I'm of little help with that) but the brakes are only used on the hydraulic drive machines as a parking brake. Mine barely works and I don't even remember the last time I used it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok. i can see where the larger spring goes and now i have a good idea where to find the attach point for the smaller spring. thanks. it reaslly helps to know the function of the springs.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The reason all of this happened in the first place was NEGLECT. The previous owner/s failed to READ their Operator's Manual and do timely brake adjustments. That would have kept the Brake Lock Rod from being able to get past the dash tower. The brake design has changed somewhat over the years but there's a pretty good chance that we may have the correct manual for your tractor. Go the Operator's Manuals section of the Tech Library with your serial number and check. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.