Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So my motor is totally rebuilt. Runs like a champ. Was waiting for sow to see this whip the pants off my JD 325. Well, it was a huge fail. At best it threw snow 4' tops. JD will throw 30'. Belt it tight, I waxed the snow shoot. What can be done to make this work better?

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,331 Posts
I would start by reading up on chain adjustment and how that impacts snowcaster performance.

Look also at center paddle mods:

The 220 should be fine with your 38" snowcaster, so long as you are not pushing the engine to the limit.

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
L-80 blower for a 1980. Is the 220 to small for a blower?
The L-80's move the auger out to tighten the chain, this opens up the gap between the auger and housing, the bigger the gap the worse the caster preforms. Go to post # 135 of the link below for a tensioner mod (the whole link is a good read thuo), I believe Case introduced this tensioner style with the S model casters and is relatively easy to adapt to older models.

To add to what Brian said. Pay attention to the sound of your motor, if it starts lugging slow your ground speed and/or move over and take narrower cuts. I have had deep /heavy/ wet snow that had the 448 anda Simplicity 19hp down to making cuts 1/4 of a caster width and slow ground speed.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Just the way it is. They don’t throw far. 10 to 15 feet maybe. On a good day. I think the trouble with them is the chute open is to big at 8””.

Noel
I have seen 2 feet with wet heavy snow (my fault, that was a full cut and too fast on the ground speed thou), up to 40+ feet with dry powder and a bit of wind ;-). If you look at the first section of the chute I think the bend is too sharp and also a limiting factor. The paint wear in my chute is more pronounced at the top end of that bend, in fact the only time I tip the deflector down is if I have to blow into the wind. There are some here who have replaced the chute with a much straighter and taller one like JD, Simplicity, Arens and others use, their results were a quite impressive improvement.

Don't forget the throwing distance with these single stage blowers are very dependent on how they are loaded, with an inch or 2 of dry powder you will need a high ground speed to keep the auger properly loaded to get any throwing distance. Got to find that sweet spot ;-)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reviewed the user guide for the blower. I'll check where the auger hubs are now and the chain slack. Probably need to remove the half link and turn the hubs back to the start position (depending on chain slack). I'm thinking there is about a 2" gap between auger and housing.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I reviewed the user guide for the blower. I'll check where the auger hubs are now and the chain slack. Probably need to remove the half link and turn the hubs back to the start position (depending on chain slack). I'm thinking there is about a 2" gap between auger and housing.
Just to be clear the gap I am talking about is at the back of the housing just below where the discharge chute starts. If you have a 2" gap something is seriously wrong, I don't think mine would open up to a max of a 3/4" gap. Also chains wear and stretch, if the auger is adjusted all the way out it is time for a new chain. Google roller chain stretch and wear, also sprocket wear. A worn chain will be longer between the pins from one link to the next, this will cause the teeth on the sprockets to wear to a sharp point and bend over to the point that the chain will jump off. The chain is cheaper and much easier to replace than the sprockets.

If you don't know, there is a right and wrong way to use these connector links.
Auto part Automotive design Vehicle Automotive wheel system Metal

The right way <<<<<<< Direction of chain travel.
The wrong way >>>>>> Ice and rocks can catch the tails of the clip and pop it off, then the chain falls apart.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have seen 2 feet with wet heavy snow (my fault, that was a full cut and too fast on the ground speed thou), up to 40+ feet with dry powder and a bit of wind ;-). If you look at the first section of the chute I think the bend is too sharp and also a limiting factor. The paint wear in my chute is more pronounced at the top end of that bend, in fact the only time I tip the deflector down is if I have to blow into the wind. There are some here who have replaced the chute with a much straighter and taller one like JD, Simplicity, Arens and others use, their results were a quite impressive improvement.

Don't forget the throwing distance with these single stage blowers are very dependent on how they are loaded, with an inch or 2 of dry powder you will need a high ground speed to keep the auger properly loaded to get any throwing distance. Got to find that sweet spot ;-)

Cheers,
Gordy
Chute design is a big thing with throwers and blowers Gordy. I changed the chute on my Ford blower a few years ago. It was short and a quick curve in it. I used a walk behind snow blower chute to replace it. It was much taller and much less curve in it. Worked much better. Ford thrower is 6” open chute.

Noel

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just the way it is. They don’t throw far. 10 to 15 feet maybe. On a good day. I think the trouble with them is the chute open is to big at 8””.

Noel
I think that is snow dependent. Wet, heavy snow sure. Dry stuff will go 20' easily. Granted, it does not throw as far as my two stage Craftsman did.

I have painted my auger, housing and chute with:

The single plow kit will do two casters. I did it 3+ years ago and it is still going strong. I probably snow blow 40 hrs per season and do not have a gravel drive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Here is where I'm at right now. The auger hubs were not oriented properly. They were two holes off. So I removed the hub from the chain side. Found a washer that was placed there by the PO that was not needed. It was removed, the hub was adjusted and sits flush against the blower now. It didn't before. The opposite hub was oriented to match the chain side. A chain link was removed. The chain is much tighter now. I added a flap to the center of the auger to remove some gap. The 2" gap i thought i remembered is where the center flute of the auger, enters the begining of the chute (where the cute connects to the auger housing). The auger comes away from the chute so fast it gives the illusion of a large gap there. I also fixed the egged out holes where the mounting bracket attaches to the blower assembly. Here are some pictures.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Wood Tire

Motor vehicle Wood Orange Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
169 Posts
L-80 blower for a 1980. Is the 220 to small for a blower?
Pretty much, a 220 is to small for about everything. I put one on my 226(16hp) tractor and it’ll work it pretty good if you push it. I can’t see how or why you’d compare a 10hp to a 18hp tractor. I never really measured how far I throw snow but with good snow conditions I can see it doing 30 feet. With that said though I usually don’t throw it more then 10 feet cause that’s a good distance to rake gravel to, 30 feet of spread gravel is going to be a all year choir or you just are never getting it back lol. Sounds like you should be comparing your jd to a 226-446 or a 448 though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts