Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about done with the engine swap in my 222. I had an old 14 horse K321 from a 224 I picked up a couple of years ago for parts. Now I just have to rewire the engine because it has the gen/starter. My 12 horse is the stater type. Got to find a place to mount the voltage reg. Hooked it up directly and it fired right up. Smoked a little but I don't know yet if it was from being tossed around in the garage for a couple of years or what. Either way it runs better that the tired 12 did. Will get me by until I can rebuild the 12. I need one tractor running so I can swap out the hydraulic pumps on my 446.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I don't know if there is a question posed in this thread or not.

The last tractor to have a Start/Gen was the 1976 and 1977's and both of them had the tank under the battery, albeit...it was a metal tank instead of the plastic one. Consulting the parts manual for those tractors might give you some ideas about wiring issues and where to mount the old style regulator.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
99flhr said:
wurkenman said:
I need one tractor running so I can swap out the hydraulic pumps on my 446.
Does this mean you have arrived at a definitive cause of the blowing hose ?
I sure hope so. I have an extra pump from the 224 parts tractor. I am going to swap out he pumps and just make sure. I removed the after market holding valve and it still makes a constant whine while moving. The PO or PO's, I am thinking ran this thing out of oil more than once. The only thing it will cost me is time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hydriv said:
I don't know if there is a question posed in this thread or not.

The last tractor to have a Start/Gen was the 1976 and 1977's and both of them had the tank under the battery, albeit...it was a metal tank instead of the plastic one. Consulting the parts manual for those tractors might give you some ideas about wiring issues and where to mount the old style regulator.
The 222 is a 1980 the 224 was a 1977.

Not really any question, just found that I could mount the regulator on the outside of the dash tower with the same bolts that hold the oil tank battery panel in place. Now just to finish the wiring. I am tired of working on tractors right now. Sunday evening and I need some quiet time with my lovely bride.

This weekend I:
I took the holding valve off the 446
installed a new electronic ignition pickup on the 446
tracked down wiring on the 446 and am waiting for a new regulator
swapped engines in the 222
I am done for the weekend.
Kind of looking forward to going to work to get a break. :shock:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Look for any hydraulic lines that may be touching the frame or other parts. Take some old heater hose or garden hose and cut some lengths about six inches long. Slit the lengths open so you can slip them on the steel lines were they contact other parts of the tractor and use zip ties to tightly secure them. Even the main supply hose can sometimes benefit from this exercise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished. The wiring is complete and the beast is alive. I am gonna run it a bit before I tear into the 446. I also changed the lift cylinder while I was in there. No more leaks.
Here is a pic of the regulator mounting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the little 222/224 out today and worked it a little. Had a lot of storm damage to clean up. This K321 is one smooth running engine. I still might swap all the electronics from the 12 horse over to this engine, and get rid of the starter gen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.