Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been on the local CL since Feb. The owner claimed it ran but lost the keys, I talked to him about buying it as he has started at $600 in Feb and last month it was posted for $300. That owner had picture of it buried in snow next to cedar tree. I have those pictures somewere but can't find them right now.

Now it appears someone bought it and is trying to resell it after getting it running. Seems like a lot of engine work yet "it smokes".

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/grd/2366285180.html

Case 222 Mower Garden Tractor - $650 (65255)

Date: 2011-05-06, 2:02PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

1972 Case 222 S#9658543 w/ 12 HP Kohler K301A S#4319080. Found it sitting by a cedar tree and was told it was "seized" up. Turned out to be a rat's nest in the flywheel. Did some work listed below and she now starts first time, every time. Engine does smoke when running but cylinder is in good shape. Mower deck in good shape and cuts well. $650 OBO. 573-2three9-2zero6zero.

1)Carb rebuilt (Brian Miller's Shop)
2)Valve job (Brian Miller's Shop)
3)New fuel line/filter
4)Decarbonize head
5)New battery and ignition switch
6)New fuel line and air filter
7)New plug and plug wire
8)Oil change (2 for good measure)
9)Hydraulic oil looks good
10)Mower blades sharpened and balanced

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2366285180

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
All this stuff that he allegedly did to it or had done......means nothing in the overall scheme of things. At best, he has a $300.00 tractor with a deck. Good luck getting $650.00 for it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really have to question the condition of the engine. From the reputation that Brian Miller's shop has if the engine left the the shop and it smokes then I suspect there's something wrong that the owner didn't want to pay for and repair. This seller is trying to piggy back on the reputation of Miller's shop and that's no good, Brian Miller knows Kohler engines very good and his shop does the best work (If you can afford him).

I was considering buying this one when it was sitting under the cedar tree but wasn't going to spend more than $200 to get it, in my eyes the only thing going for it was the 12hp engine and now that is questionable.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
That's why I said that all the stuff he allegedly had done to it means nothing to a prospective buyer.

An engine that smokes badly is an engine in need of a rebuild. That means the engine has to come back out again, be torn down to the bare block for the necessary machine shop work. New gaskets will be needed once again. Essentially, the next owner will be starting over with fixing the engine so why should he reward this guy for what he did? Realistically, there are two types of tractors for sale. One type is ready to go to work the same day because it needs nothing. The second type cannot go to work the next day because it needs work. What is at issue is the dollar amount of work needed to get the Type Two tractor into the Type One tractor category.

And I am not talking about making trailer queens here, either. This is about having a reliable work tractor that will start when you turn the key and then leave the shed/garage to put in a good day of work for the owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.