Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tore down the clutch because the bearings are shot.
pressed in the new bearings, then noticed my drive hub was worn noticeably from the shot bearings.

luckily I have a spare drive hub. this one is nice, but I feel a slight wave. nothing crazy just feel it slightly when running my finger across.
my question is, how much wear is to much?

are these drive hubs available reasonably priced.

also I notice a torque value on the adjustment nut, but is their any for the machined allen screw that attaches the hub into the flywheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Sylvester Calzone said:
also I notice a torque value on the adjustment nut, but is their any for the machined allen screw that attaches the hub into the flywheel.
The book gives values by dia for all unspecified fastners. The 5/16ths figure plus blue Locktite
is my opinion :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
As long as the wear is not a ridge that would stop they bearing from sliding I would expect you are good to go. :thumbsup:

Slide one of your bearings up and down your shaft and see if it hangs up. :trink:

Mine was worn .003 and seemed to work good. :thumbsup:

Put it back together and check it out and you will likely get years out of it. :drinkbuddies:

Torque values for the screws for me would be loctite and tight with an Allan wrench not an Allan socket :headscratcher:

Hope it works out. :trink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
All parts for the clutches are readily available including the main shafts. Like many things "Ingersoll", they have shot up in price. I believe that a new shaft is pushing the $200.00 mark now but Brian can quote the current price for the sake of accuracy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bhildret said:
Kohler clutch hubs are a bit over the top now ... think $300. I think an enterprising forum member with machining skills (NOT me ...) should consider a sleeve and repair service with cores supplied by customers in need ...

Brian
wow that is pricy! I am glad I had this one on hand.

about the sleeving this is something I would be willing to do, and actually would enjoy doing.
unfortunately my machine is slow, and an opportunity was missed for a bigger machine.
my neighbor has one, maybe I will talk with him.

can anyone Mic a new hub.

also, another question. ( if someone has the clutch service manual open)
between 7 (pulley) and 9 (cam) calls for 10 ( three spacer washers) mine has only one would this present any problems?
I do see at the top it says pulley without shoulder for friction disc, maybe that is mine, couldnt tell.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
At the time Ed shut down Casegardentractors.com, you could buy the Kohler main shaft for $179.03. When was that?>... maybe 2 years ago, at the most? And now the price has jumped by more than 50 percent? Oh....and aren't we in a recession, as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,052 Posts
Sylvester Calzone said:
bhildret said:
Kohler clutch hubs are a bit over the top now ... think $300. I think an enterprising forum member with machining skills (NOT me ...) should consider a sleeve and repair service with cores supplied by customers in need ...

Brian
wow that is pricy! I am glad I had this one on hand.

about the sleeving this is something I would be willing to do, and actually would enjoy doing.
unfortunately my machine is slow, and an opportunity was missed for a bigger machine.
my neighbor has one, maybe I will talk with him.

can anyone Mic a new hub.

also, another question. ( if someone has the clutch service manual open)
between 7 (pulley) and 9 (cam) calls for 10 ( three spacer washers) mine has only one would this present any problems?
I do see at the top it says pulley without shoulder for friction disc, maybe that is mine, couldnt tell.
I would suggest rebuilding the clutch exactly as it was when you pulled it from the tractor. That is assuming it has never been messed with. What year tractor did it come off of? Also post up a pic of the pulley an I will compare it to the ones I have here. I just rebuilt another o
ne of these clutches last week and I used 3 spacer washers and it work flawlessly on the bench with the nut torqued down to proper spec. Now this may change once it gets mounted but I doubt it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
The shaft diameter on mine is worn down a good 0.020". I just snugged the shims up ticght enough that the thing turns when the lever is in the disengaged position. Works fine like that for mowing.

Kind of think an outfit that does spray welding could build these up pretty cheaply if one had enough of them (10 or 20?). We do that to repair certain shaft issues often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I didnt need to buy anything.
I remembered that a relative gave me this
worked great, didnt slip or anything.



adjusted the clutch was easy.
my only concern is when I engage the clutch and at full rpm its sounding odd, but I never herd one before.
should they be whisper quite

also when I engage the clutch I can feel almost 2 indents (I think this is maybe slight wear on the cam's)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
When the clutch is engaged you should near nothing other than the deck and your engine. Look at the inner cam and make sure it is shimmed properly. It may be rubbing on the drive pulley when it is locked in position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,052 Posts
wurkenman said:
When the clutch is engaged you should near nothing other than the deck and your engine. Look at the inner cam and make sure it is shimmed properly. It may be rubbing on the drive pulley when it is locked in position.
That happened to mt 220 when my dad owned it. It ended up wearing down the cam to the point that it didnt rub anymore. I ended up rebuilding the clutch when I was given the tractors a few years ago used the proper shims and spacers until it worked right. Its going to be a trial and error if you are doing it for the first time. Just make sure you DO NOT let the clutch slip under load or you will ruin it and all the adjusting in the world will not save you.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top