Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question. I understand how the clutch is used to deliver power to mower decks and snow casters. If you don't use these attachments (plow use only) is the clutch adjustment critical/necessary?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just a question. I understand how the clutch is used to deliver power to mower decks and snow casters. If you don't use these attachments (plow use only) is the clutch adjustment critical/necessary?
If you do not use it, adjustment is not critical/necessary.

As a side note, be aware that if your tractor does not start you may have to push the clutch lever forward as there is a safety switch on it. Mine gets bumped on occation enough to mess with the switch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do not use it, adjustment is not critical/necessary.

As a side note, be aware that if your tractor does not start you may have to push the clutch lever forward as there is a safety switch on it. Mine gets bumped on occation enough to mess with the switch.
Thank you so much. One less thing I need to worry about. I'll keep the safety switch in mind, that's a handy tidbit.

Peace to all
caveboy

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Thank you so much. One less thing I need to worry about. I'll keep the safety switch in mind, that's a handy tidbit.

Peace to all
caveboy
If you never planning on using the clutch, I'd think about removing all of it but the shaft and fan, especially if you don't know how old the bearings are. Then disable that safety switch. The bearings in the cams spin all the time that the engine is running, I have had these seize up on a couple tractors.

Another side note: If the tractor starts but won't move check shifter on the rear axle. More than a few of us have hooked the lever and shifted it to neutral without realizing it.

cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gordy. I bought this to plow and pull things around. And putting a snow caster is more work than I want to sign up for.

accidentally hitting things is why I gave that PTO valve away. I was lucky I didn’t damage the pump on the 646.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Gordy. I bought this to plow and pull things around. And putting a snow caster is more work than I want to sign up for.

accidentally hitting things is why I gave that PTO valve away. I was lucky I didn’t damage the pump on the 646.
Snowcasters are awesome and not hard to put on. I like not having to worry about filling up a snow storage area and then not having a place to plow the snow. Now the first setup may take longer if you have to adjust the PTO clutch and that is a bit tedious.

Avoiding dead heading the rear PTO when bumped out of neutral is a simple matter of installing a bypass hose.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Bumper

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts

We all have different preferences and circumstances. Mine living in MN is for the snow caster, I can throw the snow up and on the same spots all winter long, without having to start out with a plow doing the whole yard just in case we get big snows later in the season, so I don't run out of room to push it.

In my avatar you can make out my 224-78 with cab in front the snow mountain I made. Had a small dog that needed the yard / toilet cleared ;) and it was fun to see how high I could go with the snow.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a walk behind snow thrower and when the snow is just right and no wind I love blowing snow. If I had more driveway / snow to move I agree the snow caster is the way to go. My main goal is to keep in front of our mail box plowed and the end of the driveways. Our mail box sets about 3-4 feet off the road and when the city plows it piles up in front of it and they won't deliver our mail. Not that it matters much to me, but my wife likes getting the mail. Then there is the matter of the wet snow berm at the end of the driveways after the city plows. I thought the plow would be handy to keep those two areas tidied up. Plus if it gets too high I can get the 646 out and put it where I want it. That way I could use both tractors in the same day. That's a win in my book.

Peace to all
caveboy

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Until your wife says "Couldn't use just use the 646 to do that work? Why do we have 2 tractors?..." Ask me how I know. :)
I heard that "Do we really need another tractor" line. I explained that I needed a mower deck for a tractor, the one I found was $450 and needed a lot of work and parts. I bought this tractor with deck, vac, and power steering for $250. End of discussion. ;) OH and she really likes the power steering. 😁

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was kinda in a bind over the 646 when I had to start working on it as soon as I got it home (exhaust, fuel pump + all the time). Then I got it going and we made short work of the big pile of shingles in the back yard, that won her over. So far I got $200 bucks in the 222 and barring a cataclysmic failure (which in my life happens fairly frequently) I should have a solid machine for less than $700 total. Plus keeping me out of her hair, $700 is a bargain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts