Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to fix the slop in the ft axle pivot pt?
I plan on keeping the tractor so I wouldn`t mind taking the time to do it right.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Replace the original pin with one of the new hardened front axle pins with the bolt and washer to draw the plates together.

Bill

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you know what you are looking for Ebay. If not Bill at Barneveld Implement (one of our approved dealers).608-9241662. I know they have them. The others maybe, also.

CB? Yeah, I got out of the bees on October 16th, 1970. So coming real soon 51 years ago! Stationed primarily out of Rhode Island. Base is no longer in existence.

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rigged up a bolt and washer thing. Seems to have tightened the assembly. The turning radius from L to R seems uneven, maybe Its that way from the factory, not sure.
USMC Force recon early 70`s. Man the time goes quick !

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
One of the easy things to check for L to R steering is to get under the tractor and see if the steering gear is in place when the front wheels are straight ahead. The Sector gear has an arrow and with the steering straight ahead that arrow should point directly to the gear at the bottom of the steering column. If not you should drop the sector gear, and point it directly at that gear at the bottom. At that point you should roll the steering link between the sector gear and the front right wheel until the wheels are straight ahead, again. Once you have done that, check again for L to R. Then check for your toe-in.

Where do you live?

Bill

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the stainless pin and bolt on E bay for both my tractors, 4020 and 4016, got out in 69 after Nam. 51st LRRP's and 75th rangers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
How is your tie rod ends? sounds like a rebuild for the front axle coming, along with the gear adjustment. There are shims for the gear if you need...........Curt

Seabee, his other post stated Oregon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the easy things to check for L to R steering is to get under the tractor and see if the steering gear is in place when the front wheels are straight ahead. The Sector gear has an arrow and with the steering straight ahead that arrow should point directly to the gear at the bottom of the steering column. If not you should drop the sector gear, and point it directly at that gear at the bottom. At that point you should roll the steering link between the sector gear and the front right wheel until the wheels are straight ahead, again. Once you have done that, check again for L to R. Then check for your toe-in.

Where do you live?

Bill
Good info, Thanks. I`m in western Oregon not exactly a Mecca for garden tractors. I see the variety and prices of machines from the eastern half and....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts