Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked in the manual and it is telling me to use part #C23358 belt to run my mower deck on my 226. Upon further investigation I found that the belt is 66 1/2'' long x 1/2'' wide. Can I use either a 66'' or 67'' belt as that is all that most places stock? I am not sure if that 1/2'' makes a big difference seeing there is adjustment there?

· Banned
12,618 Posts
One thing that you are apparently not taking into consideration is that OEM belts are 9/16" wide but you will only find 1/2" and 5/8" wide belts available from most suppliers nearby. So..........If you use a 1/2" belt, then you want it to be a bit shorter because it will ride lower in the pulleys and if you choose 5/8" wide, then you want it a tad longer because it will sit higher. I would try using a 5/8" X 67" belt. Most places will allow you to return a belt that has not been RUN. Trial fitting that does no damage to the belt won't affect the saleability of a returned belt.

If the belt goes on OK and you can adjust the T-handle enough to cause the coils of the tensioning spring to open up the same distance as the thickness of the wire used to wind that spring, then that belt should be fine. But do not overlook the condition of the tensioning spring. If it is stretched out, then it should be replaced. Belts with inadequate tension will slip and then roll over until they flip off. When that starts happening, the whole belt thing starts getting expensive and very frustrating. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,383 Posts
One thing I noticed about mine was the pulleys on the mule drive had been replaced and were for a 1/2" belt. So I went with 1/2" and its worked fine. I also bought the next shortest readily available length belt at the local agricultural supply store and its been working just fine. It seems 'way too short' at first but it wore the first couple times I used it to the point I was checking it every hour at least.

· Banned
12,618 Posts
burrhoes said:
thanks for the info. Will I run into any of these problems when looking to buy a new belt for the snowcaster and replacing the belt in the mower deck itself?
If you stick with OEM belts, then you won't have any problems and the belts will outlast and outperform most other aftermarket units. Brian Hildreth can mail belts to you the same day or the following day. His contact information can be found in the FAQ's section of this site. :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,052 Posts
To the original poster and to everyone else reading this, PLEASE just save yourself the grief and replace the belts with OEM belts from Brian. There is a reason why most of those belts found at parts stores are under $10. They are junk and as mentioned above are only 1/2" or 5/8" wide. Our machines use a 9/16" wide belt.

· Registered
2,831 Posts
CASE 220/4 said:
To the original poster and to everyone else reading this, PLEASE just save yourself the grief and replace the belts with OEM belts from Brian. There is a reason why most of those belts found at parts stores are under $10. They are junk and as mentioned above are only 1/2" or 5/8" wide. Our machines use a 9/16" wide belt.
:goodpost:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.