Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

3 point and quick coupler's

3500 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  cp7
I would like to have quick couplers on my 2 ingersolls to allow the 3 point to move between the two tractors.
for maintenance reasons etc.

princess auto locally has some couplers. (here are some) ... ck+coupler

what would I look for?

I could take a stab to say the thread would need to match that of the fitting on the hydraulic hose.
psi would be that of the circuit but what about GPM.

also has anyone else done this?

ofcourse I would eventually like to have a 3 point for each tractor. but until then.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Original lines for the 3 point were 5/16". I use 1/4" (which is quite common) with no concern on performance loss. I feel 3/8" (also common) are too large to neatly package in to this space and the fittings are smaller anyhow. The 1/4" hose might slow the cylinder a bit, but you won't likely be disappointed with it.

If you can find a 1000 psi hose, that might be worth using since it would be more flexible. Most 1/4" hose is 3000-3500 PSI and still quite suitably flexible for this application.

Count from the top of the Princess page to the fifth row.

The 1/4" couplers shown there will work but if you want to go to the 3/8" ones, there isn't much difference in price.

You will need three sets of male/female to do what you want to do. You should also invest in the rubber covers to go on each tractor so that dirt is kept out. While all of this sounds rather simple, I don't see it that way. The couplers themselves come with pipe thread fittings and you will have to adapt those to your hoses and fittings. That fact will add considerable cost to this project.

Example: You start with the first tractor by removing the one hose that goes between top of the lift cylinder and the Tee fitting on the Lift valve. You will need an adaptor to go onto the Tee fitting that has Female Iron Pipe on one side to screw into the quick coupler and JIC on the other side that will spin onto JIC type Tee fitting. You will also need a second adaptor that has Male Iron Pipe on one side to screw into the mating quick coupler and JIC on the other side so that the OEM hose will connect to it. You will have to repeat that process for every quick coupler.

Here's the problem as I see it. The JIC fittings used for the hydraulic lines is a bit of an oddball size. I suggest that you take one hose from your three point and one Tee fitting with you when you go visit the Dixie Road Princess Auto store and show them to the resident hydraulics expert. Tell him or her what you are trying to do and they will tell you if Princess has the adaptor fittings available. Then ask what the prices are for those six adaptors. I can see this project costing you upwards of $200.00 in couplers and fittings before the day is over. And that's IF those adapters are even available.

If they are not to be had, then it gets even more expensive because you will have to get Princess to make all new hoses for you. The alternative method would be to make a bracket that went onto the back of each tractor. The bracket would be drilled to accept what are called "bulkhead fittings". These are hydraulic fittings that fit through the holes on the bracket but have a NUT on them that will hold them firmly in place. You then need two new hoses to connect the back side of the bulkhead fittings to the JIC Tee fittings on the Lift Valve. The couplers will screw onto the opposite side of the bulkhead fittings. The three point cylinder will need two new hoses that will accept the pipe thread quick coupler halves on one end and the fittings on the top/bottom of the cylinder on the other end.

That method calls for six new hoses, four bulkhead fittings, two custom made mounting brackets, three pairs of quick couplers, rubber covers for the couplers and some nuts and bolts to secure the brackets. The only way to figure this out is to visit the Princess store in person with the parts in hand.
See less See more
thank you both for responding.

its sounding like it would be better to wait for a second 3 point.
which works because I happen to be setting up another tractor with a sleeve hitch for now.

the idea still interests me, I agree that I will need to get some solid pricing done.
I think the bulkhead fittings are what I was aiming for (if I understood correctly), I would put them on the rear of the tractor on the sheet metal that cases in the fuel tank.
the only real attachment I have that will not work with the 3 point is the hydrabagger, but it could probably be easier to make a adapter.

I am becoming all to familiar with Cisco, Fairview and princess auto to only name a few :sidelaugh:
One way to go with the bulkhead fittings like Tom suggested is to get them off one of the older JD hydro garden tractors. They're 1/4 npt so the original hose will fit them and you'd just need new hoses from your cylinder that would have the male quick attach fittings. If I was going to do it I'd put studs at the lower mounts so you didn't have to hold it up trying to start a bolt.
The early JD 300 series three point hitch is a self contained setup with quick attach snap fast pins something like a mule drive. They had hydro ports at the rear as an option that were necessary for the 3pt.
It's basically what I intend to do to add a grapple on the front of the loader. Or you could add hydraulic angle to a blade up front with a splitter valve.

See less See more
I like the way they did it in your photo Craig for two reasons.

They did not use a bulkhead fitting. Instead, they had the body of the coupler going through a hole and then secured by a snap ring. This manner takes the strain off of the brass fitting between the coupler and the hose and that makes for a much stronger setup. It also eliminates the need for the bulkhead fitting and the cost that goes with them. Most likely, those are proprietary couplers because I've never seen any with the groove for the snap ring on couplers that are stocked at places I deal with. The only downside to the setup shown is that two female couplers are used and you would have to colour code or do something else to make sure attachments were hooked up correctly.
That's a standard JD fitting. I like that you can replace the o ring sealing ring on them. All the Kohler 300 series had at least one pair and some have two pair up front and a third H3 in the rear. The 318s are the same but they started using slightly different ones on the newer models.
If I remember right the manual says plug in the male connectors and if it's backwards switch the hoses. :facepalm:
JD ended up color coordinating them on the new models.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.