Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 30 year old 3016 with 1200 hours on the B&S Vanguard -original engine. Thought I had a problem with the fuel shut off selonoid, but after replacing it, still does not open after turning the key. Also headlights and electric clutch will not function when the key is in the "on" position. I recently replaced the ignition switch with a new one which got the tractor running again- for awhile. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what my problem might be. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Where did you get the ignition switch ? If not from one of our trusted dealers it is probably the wrong switch. There are many on the store shelves that look identical on the outside, but are different on the inside. Other than that look closely for a loose or corroded wire connections, blown fuse.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Igniion switch came from a very reliable suplier, I own two 3016 tractors - the one in question will not turn on lights, allow the elecric clutch to engage, or the fuel selonoid to operate. The other tractor does all of these operations. What could possibly be the difference between the two tractors. Thanking you in advance.

·
Administrator
3,351 Posts
Some places to look:
The plastic connector on the back of the key switch.
The plastic connectors
on the back of the PTO switch.
The PTO switch itself as some circuits from the key switch are directly connected to it.
You need an electrical wiring diagram for your specific tractor. https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/d... & 4000 Parts Manual 8-3112 - watermarked.pdf
Pages 52, 53, 54 and 55
Check the battery negative connection to where it connects to the engine or tractor frame
Check the fuse and fuse connector.
I usually ad a ground cable from a good spot on the engine to the tractor frame as the stock setup is the engine grounds to the frame where it sits on the frame.:cool:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Have a 30 year old 3016 with 1200 hours on the B&S Vanguard -original engine. Thought I had a problem with the fuel shut off selonoid, but after replacing it, still does not open after turning the key. Also headlights and electric clutch will not function when the key is in the "on" position. I recently replaced the ignition switch with a new one which got the tractor running again- for awhile. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what my problem might be. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
There may be other things I can't see, but I'd bet on the wrong ignition switch, unless you have tested the various continuity paths through it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts