Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to put a P80 38" snowblower on a 1985 446? The accessories catalog I have shows the 38" is for the 200 series tractors. I know it will mount on the front but I'm told the pulleys would need to be re-engineered.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
cackerson10 said:
No problem with pulleys or belt?
No problems with pulleys or belts.

The GT's use either a Model 80 or Model 84 snowcaster. The Model 84 is 48" wide and it will fit right onto any 210, 220, 222, 224 or 226 tractor and hook up perfectly. The only problem with a 84 on a 210, 220 or 222 is the lack of HP when clearing deep, heavy snow. Case recommends a minimum engine HP of 14 to make the 84 work efficiently under all conditions.

Conversely, the Model 80 will hook up to any 442, 444, 446 or 448 (Snap Fast models only) but the overall width of those tractors is 41". This means that you will likely drive over freshly fallen snow and pack it down on every pass you make with the narrower blower. That can cause the tractor to not sit level on the surface and in turn, cause the snowcaster to not scrape the snow to bare pavement all the way across its width during a pass.

The way around this dilemma is to add "wings" to the side plates of the 80 to make it at least 42" cut width. At one time, these wings were sold by Ingersoll but are NLA. However, they are not that difficult to make if you have access to a metal brake to bend the 1/8" steel into a simple offset.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
The letter in the model indicates a progression in a series of minor design changes which in most all cases does not affect compatibility. So, the R80 is slightly newer design level than the P80. Nothing to write home about, really ... but it proceeds through to the model S80 and S84.

THe 80 (38") and 84 (48") is just the width, as explained previously.

The P80 combined with a 400 series (446) tractor uses the C23539 belt.

Brian

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
cackerson10 said:
Also do you know what belt is reqiured to make this blower work?
The CORRECT belt is an OEM belt that is available from Brian (bhildret).

Yes.... there are "el cheapo" belts out there but when the snow is over a foot deep and you cannot get either car out of the garage, the "el cheapo" belt will turn out to be the bad mistake of the year when it breaks on you or continuously rolls off the pulleys. Savvy owners have figured out that the OEM belt is the lowest cost belt in the long run and they keep a spare one on hand "just in case".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.