1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that the 3 point is on and working :trink: :clap:
I need to fab up some forks.
looking for ideas before I start.

should I make a fork frame to attach to the A frame, the top portion would be a thick steel pipe with a next size steel pipe to go over that to weld the forks onto, this way its adjustable and could be locked with either a large set screw or holes drilled in the pipes in measured lengths that a pin can slide into.

I dont plan to lift crazy weight, more just to move my many attachments.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I liked those too that's why I saved the pictures. I like how he used straight metal and didn't have to bend them. He beefed them up with the gussets real nice.
Did you look at Alzs videos? They sure made you understand how much you need them don't they?
Make sure and get some good pics of what you build. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I made up pallet forks using some 4" channel and they will lift anything my loader can lift. For a 3 pt hitch 3" channel should work equally as well. You can make the width adjustable but in practice you probably won't bother moving them so I'd just make them wide enough to handle a pallet and then you can move anything that will fit on the pallet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got an extra pair for my skid steer and they're 1.75" x 4" x 36" and weigh a good 100lbs each. The ones that I linked to are only 1" x 2" and they have them in a 42" or 36". The 42" with the carriage only weighs 130lbs. They're built for machines like the Toro Dingo. I checked with every forklift outfit in KC and they didn't have anything as small as those especially used.
The channel iron that Bart mentioned weighs about 4 - 5 lbs a foot so something homemade would be about the same weight as these.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The forklift forks are definitely a lot heavier but I haven't found that to be a problem on the loader. For the 3 pt you're probably not going to be lifting more than 300 lbs so the channel would be more than adequate. I used my channel forks for several years and lifted some very large oak logs without any problems but then I tried to pry a large log loose that was frozen in the ground and that did them in. The forklift forks can handle any abuse I dream up. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
715 Posts
I talked to Al @ Alzwelding...he uses 3/4" x 3" flat bar for his forks.My steel guy up here can do 2 forks bent for $178.I also asked Al about making a cage to fit Case 600 series.His price is $499 minus 20% right now for the "safety forks" setup.Add shipping to that.He said if I sent him some drawings and photos he would fab it for that price....seriously thinking about doing it.Anyone else want to get in on something like this in the NorthEast to save on shipping?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.