Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into building a 3pt hitch, not unlike many that are already in use. Unfortunately I have a dillemma here as to how to operate it. As many of you know, I only have the 190 to take care of all of my chores, and it's the old manual lever-op lift type. With the spring set right I can get about 8" of movement out of the tiller, which is just fine. I'm sure I can accomplish this with a 3pt setup, but what about a MANUAL LEVER-OP setup for my 3pt?

What I'm suggesting is working the 3pt with the original impliment lever, not a hydraulic cylinder. I know, all the newer tractors use the hydraulic setup, and it would be great. I'll convert over to that someday, maybe... For now, I don't have tons of money to throw at my tractor, so necessity dictates priority. New...new----er... tires, oil changes, hoses that should have blown a year ago, you get the idea. I'm just trying to improve the lift system to accomodate more impliments that I already have or can easily build.

Right now, I have enough metal scrap pieces laying around to fab up a manually operated 3pt setup, run from my original lift lever.

Has anybody ever seen this? Will this work? Am I wasting my time? Have I been breathing too much tractor exhaust and welder fumes? :crazy:

Rob

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You didn't mention why you need a 3 pt but it is not something that would be likely to add value to the tractor and could diminish the value if done poorly from a collector's perspective. It would take some creativity to design the linkages necessary to lift the 3 pt with the current lift lever but I imagine it can be done. The 190 is more of a collector item these days and I think you would be better off saving your money and upgrading to a 400 series tractor when you can then build a proper 3 pt for that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, for now the 190 is all I've got. And as far as upgrading goes, I would be searching the rainy NW for a year or two just to find ANY 400 series around here, and for the price I usually see them I could get a 8N or maybe a bigger tractor that needs tinkering...Case just didn't sell many of the GT series out here.

I know the 100 series are prone to breaking axles, but I'm not planning on running anything heavier than the original tiller. The impliments I have in mind are a small box scraper, maybe 70lbs, a LIGHT rear blade, someday a small plow, and my wood chipper. I'd have to re-build that, it's a 5hp briggs powered unit with a dead engine, I'll be looking for a hydro motor for that sometime. I know the sleeve hitch is common on this size of GT, but I like the geometry of the 3pt better for use with the box scraper and plow.

I know the 190 is a collector item, and someday I'll restore it properly. I have many years ahead of me before that can happen, I'm not retired like some of y'all. But as far as attaching the hitch goes, I'll make sure it is neatly adapted without ruining the original parts, I will save the parts that are meant for the original lift and tiller and all, no worries. I'm not worried about degrading the value as it is a family heirloom, yet I would like to keep it as original as possible. :thumbup:

I hope my reasoning makes sense to everyone, please tell me if it doesn't. Thanks ahead of time! :grin:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The real value of a 3 pt is for pulling a turning plow so that you can keep it vertical when one tire is in the furrow--for the other applications you mentioned I don't think you need anything other than the sleeve hitch.

I know what you're saying about the scarcity of Case tractors out west and I may have to haul a trailer full of them out west to alleviate the problem. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No kidding. :lol: Seems to be plenty of tractors to choose from out here, just not many CCI. I'd be in hog-heaven if I wanted a Bolens or Deere, I can get those for a dime-a-dozen in all shapes and sizes. Part of the reason for going with 3pt is so I can get other makes of impliments, and they are often 3pt fitted out here. Hoping to be able to do this, makes my tractor more versatile around here.

And speaking of CCI, are there ever any dedicated tractor shows out here with them? Even within a few hundred miles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.