Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Return to neutral, neutral centering, travel lever, C 31662 & 31660
I've had this 4016 tractor (14171416) since 1997 and purchased it used from the owner of an independent Lawn & Garden store in North Carolina. It was the owner's machine. No complaints. For the first time in doing annual on this machine I saw on page 24 on the operating manual
"b. the travel control lever returns automatically to the "NEUTRAL"position from both "FORWARD" and "REVERSE".

I was shocked. My family and I have operated since '97 just using the travel level and returning to neutral by hand before apply brakes. Obviously if you applied brakes without putting in neutral the pump and hydraulic motor squeal at you. So that's the "I'm a moron part of the story".

I crawled under the tractor while it was on ramps and with tower covers off and found the C 31662 Guide-neutral and the C 31662 Spring - Return were disconnected BUT THERE! I removed the spring and inspected it and it looks to me to have been replaced with a non-OEM spring since it does not have the elongated end but rather a semi to 3/4 circle bent on the Guide side and 3/4 circle on the brake lever/tang side.
QUESTION: If the older model Case tractors show a swivel or small link that appears to hang on the brake lever, which would rotate or adjust to the angle of pull on the spring as the brake pedal is applied, then would it reduce wear on a replacement spring to add it back on the newer Ingersoll 4016 set up? Something caused the original spring to break.
I'm thinking about just drilling an attachment hole in a washer, hanging the washer on the brake pedal lever/tang. OR can the older linkage piece from a Case be hung on the newer Ingersoll brake lever/tang?
Since reconnecting C 31660 and C 31662 the return to neutral function is working for the first time since I had the tractor but the current non OEM spring is pretty beat up and janky.
Thanks for any thoughts or input.

·
Site sponsor, Parts Dealer
3,052 Posts
Here is a picture of the new OEM C31660 spring $11.40, If you go to the tec Library,(parts Manual) you can see how it should hook up. Hope this helps,Take Care Bill,Barneveld Imp.608-924-1662 Office supplies Line Gas Auto part Cylinder

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. What are your thoughts about a "hanger" on the break actuator so this spring is not rotating on the break actuator "tang"?.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts