Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I wrote in earlier about a hole in the bottom of my 4016 transaxle
Does a Case 222 (I have not seen it and do not know what it looks like) transaxle fit the 4016 or would it fit a friends Case 444? (his has been welded).
Another person we know has a Case 222 for parts that I can buy. If not I will remove and weld my 4016 Transaxle.
Are the shaft seal and flange bearing the same in the 222/444 and 4016?
Thank You
John

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
John,
One of the big attractions of this site over others is our extensive library of parts, service and operator manuals. In order to use that library effectively, you need the PIN (serial number) of all the tractors involved. When you have those, you can go to the Parts Manual section in the library and find the Parts Manuals that coincide with each of the tractors. There is a pictorial diagram of the trans-axle that is an exploded view. All parts are numbered on the diagram and those numbers relate to a parts list on the following page. That parts list shows the part numbers of all the parts.

You can then compare part numbers to see which ones match up.

I will tell you that there is no difference in shaft seals and most of the bearings in the trans-axles used on the 200's and the 400's. At some point, Ingersoll decided to use the trans-axle housing with the extra gussets on all models, not just the loader/backhoe. Perhaps your tractor has that housing and if so, it would show up as a different part number. But that does not mean that a housing from either an earlier 200 or 400 model will not work in your 4000.

Keep in mind that the 222 and 444 models were made right from 1969 to 1988. The primary difference between a complete trans-axle from a 222 and one from a 444 relates to the axle shafts and the hydraulic drive motor. If your friend with the 444 wants the housing from the 222, then he will have to dismantle his damaged trans-axle and swap the parts over to the 222 trans-axle once he dismantles it.

We have a Service Manual that covers this work.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The other option is to simply buy a complete transaxle with motor from a 400/4000 model and swap it into your tractor. The good news is that these are so durable there is not much demand for them and can usually be had for $100-150. This approach would save you the trouble of swapping axles or otherwise messing with the internals of the transaxle if that is something you're not inclined to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.