Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

4016 Won't Crank...does nothing

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Gordy 
#1 ·
I've been having a problem starting my 16 hp onan. Up until today, jigging the Forward/Reverse lever a bit would do the trick.

I know I have a good battery, but the dumb thing won't crank at all. Nothing.

Any tricks or tips on how to get this thing to start?

#3 ·
The fact that jiggling the forward/reverse lever used to allow it to start seems to suggest that you may be dealing with a neutral safety switch that is out of adjustment or worn out.

There is a group of 3 switches located under the dash (just rearward of the battery). One is the neutral start switch (tan & dark blue wires), another is for the neutral light (red and red/white wires), and the last is wired into the ignition / seat safety switch circuit (tan & white wires). When the travel lever is moved to the neutral position, it should activate all 3 of these switches (if not, adjustment may be necessary).

If the adjustment is okay, the next thing to check for would be a defective switch. Since all 3 switches are the same, a quick test is to unplug and swap the connectors between the neutral safety & neutral light switches. Assuming the neutral light switch was okay, this will now put it in the neutral start circuit and allow the engine to crank if there aren't any other issues.

If that doesn't do the trick, you could be dealing with a bad ignition swtich, bad PTO switch, or bad electrical connection. A test light or voltmeter along with the wiring diagram (available in the operator's manual) can be used to check for power at each point along the circuit until you locate the trouble spot.

#7 ·
Its probably in the threads Gordy supplied for you but switches will make an audible click sound, when their levers are moved. You'll have to pull the battery and give them some slack. The sound may be strong, or faint. Listen closely as you move the lever with your finger. Then make sure the switch actuator moves through that operable range.

Even if they pass that test, the neutral safety switch may no longer be able to carry the current required for starting. Thats when switching the wires as Ray described, will be the next test. Some have installed relays, as a more permanent fix. See Gordy's link.

#9 ·
Kre, I don't know about your 4016, but on my '87 446 I had the same problem - jiggling the travel control lever so that the neutral start switch would allow it to start. On my 446 the travel control lever itself needs a good ground for this to work. I solved my problem by running a separate ground wire from the battery NEG to the lever shaft attached with a ground rod clamp. Problem solved and no jiggling since.
Bob

#10 ·
Hmm. First I've heard of that one.

I did get improvement by tightening the blue wire at the starter and adding a ground wire from the engine to the frame but eventually, that wasn't enough either. I switched the safety switch wires and it worked fine. Meant to switch them back and add the relay but then the 3016 became available and with no room for 3, that one was sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.