Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I adjust the PTO? I was snow blowing and the blower stopped. Heavy snow clogged and stopped the auger, belt not slipping. Cleared the clog, it now stops with very little snow. It appears the PTO clutch is slipping. How do I adjust it?

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do I adjust the PTO? I was snow blowing and the blower stopped. Heavy snow clogged and stopped the auger, belt not slipping. Cleared the clog, it now stops with very little snow. It appears the PTO clutch is slipping. How do I adjust it?
It looks like the reason for slippage is heat. When tractor is cool the PTO does not slip. I am going to wrap the muffler to separate the muffler heat from the PTO. I hope this solves the problem.

· Registered
659 Posts
What engine is in your 4018? If it's an Onan, you can buy a heat shield kit (#C45776) that bolts in place right under the muffler to keep the heat off the PTO clutch.

Also, many clutches have an adjustable air gap ... adjustable via 3 nuts around the outer edge of the PTO clutch assembly. There are slots along the sides where you can insert feeler gauges to check the gap. I think it's supposed to be in the 0.012" to 0.015" range.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What engine is in your 4018? If it's an Onan, you can buy a heat shield kit (#C45776) that bolts in place right under the muffler to keep the heat off the PTO clutch.

Also, many clutches have an adjustable air gap ... adjustable via 3 nuts around the outer edge of the PTO clutch assembly. There are slots along the sides where you can insert feeler gauges to check the gap. I think it's supposed to be in the 0.012" to 0.015" range.
I have a Vanguard engine. If there is a heat shield available for a Vanguard please let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts