Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I have a 1992 4020 hydrive with a 3 pt hitch. 887 hours on it. engine runs well, but it recently has been slowing down, to where it will no longer climb a slope. I changed the hydraulic fluid and transaxle? oil with rotella 15w40 and 3 qts. 80w90 gear oil.
The hitch and deck lift fine, lifting my 175 lbs standing on the hitch bar, but it still moves slowly.
If I lift the deck while mowing/moving, it stops forward motion.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
On 4020 check suction hose from tank to pump see if sucking flat as pumping oil. Put transaxle in neutral on pin run engine fast so hydraulics' has high flow rate, watch hose see goes flat. locate hose first engine off. If goes flat I remove tank check inside to see any thing that may block outlet passage to suction pump quarter size piece give this problem. The anti rotation arm broke twist pump until flatten suction hose and close off flow. Make looking for hose flatting short don't spend a lot time looking for flat hose cut off flow, because flow can be dump off before get drivemotor and mid lift by broke spring on main relief in TCV, that have unscrew relief pull and look at spring see in pieces (broke) if spring broke oil bypass there drive and lift be slow and weak.

·
Banned
1,351 Posts
A very fast check for sucking air is looking in the oil tank. Look before you start the tractor and then start the engine with transaxle in neutral, move the travel lever to forward and see if it changes and how fast it changes. Air in oil looks different.

This actually crosses with what Gator says about a collapsed hose. The oil should move in the tank pretty obviously. If it is not, then it is not able to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.