Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, the 4020 that old man got, was out today mowing, he likes it, but steering to the left is very hard, and steering to the right is easy. did a search on here and google, came up with nothing, any ideas? it is a 1997 4020PS

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'm surprised to hear of this type of problem with a power steering system but I would check to make sure that the axle is not bent, the front spindles should be vertical on both sides. I would also check the toe in of the front wheels.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I would raise the front end off the ground and unbolt the p/s cylinder where it attaches to the right hand spindle.
Move the wheels lock to lock by hand to confirm/deny any mechanical issue with the front end
Assuming it moves freely, I suppose your cyl could be weak in one direction OR the control valve in the tower would be at fault. :headscratcher:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
FWIW, We`re assuming that you`re referring to steering effort correct ? By design the turning radius is not equal in both directions. However, I believe they turn tighter to the left and wider to the right.

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
There few easy ways to check system one take a loose 2 lines on cylinder ends opposite of cylinder and reverse them by reconnecting crank tractor turn steering to check if direction of problem changes like wheels still want turn right to Left that means in cylinder most likely nut off the rod piston floating in cylinder. Bend cylinder Rod cause same, plunged hose.

15 218-5105 FITTING - 900 adjustable elbow 3/8” x 9/16” - 18...............................................................1
16 218-5135 FITTING - 45° adjustable elbow 3/8” x 9/16” - 18 ...............................................................1

15 218-5105 FITTING - 900 adjustable elbow 3/8” x 9/16” - This fitting could be restrictor fitting check manual Parts Catalog 8-3121 to see if fitting in right port rod end cylinder. Engineers should make cylinder travel same speed in and out.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
truckin88 said:
Guys, the 4020 that old man got, was out today mowing, he likes it, but steering to the left is very hard, and steering to the right is easy. did a search on here and google, came up with nothing, any ideas? it is a 1997 4020PS
Well ?
No update on an unusual problem can cause this group of well mannered tractorheads to turn into an ugly mob. :chopwood:

Inquiring minds want to know. :wave:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, we took off the power steering ram (piston), the tires move side to side without issue, we greased them as well. So I know nothing is binding it. How do I test everything else?

·
Registered
633 Posts
truckin88 said:
Ok, we took off the power steering ram (piston), the tires move side to side without issue, we greased them as well. So I know nothing is binding it. How do I test everything else?
Asked and answered: :sidelaugh:
gator_rider said:
There few easy ways to check system one take a loose 2 lines on cylinder ends opposite of cylinder and reverse them by reconnecting crank tractor turn steering to check if direction of problem changes like wheels still want turn right to Left that means in cylinder most likely nut off the rod piston floating in cylinder. Bend cylinder Rod cause same, plunged hose.
Inputting the above into my "gator_aid" translator, I derive the following:
"Remove the hoses on opposite ends of the cylinder and reverse them. Start the tractor and move the steering wheel left and right. If the condition of hard steering now manifests itself in the opposite direction, the following condition(s) may exist:
a) the retaining nut has come off the threaded end of the cylinder rod, allowing the piston to float freely in the cylinder;
b) the cylinder rod is bent;
c) the hose in question has become plugged."

Of course, it is always the small details that become lost in translation. I trust that others, more fluent than I, will be along to fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gents thank you, can't I switch hoses at the control vavle rathe than the cylinder, so there is less worry about reach? Also I looked in the faq and manual section is there a procedure to bleed the system (remove air)??? Also would low hyd oil do this? The tractor is not beat and the hyd oil and filter was changed in april. I am going to call the shop tomorrow that did the PTO .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yes you can switch them at the valve though it is a little tough to get to. It is unlikely that it is a crushed or restricted line as it would restrict flow in both directions. If the rod was bent you should see it when extended. Switching the lines should identify the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would air be an issue like in a brake system? I will be working on this tractor hands on next Saturday. I will take vids to post results.

Thanks for all the help much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.