Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can run my GT all day with no issue. When I turn the lights on it will shut down in about a half hour with the throttle up or 10 -15 minutes when at an idle. I have a 1979, 444, no alternator, just the box behind the plate under the steering wheel. Is this a grounding issue? I have tried to clean the terminal ends. Should I remove the regulator box from the plate and steel wool the surfaces to make a good ground? It will start right back up. I just run without lights straight to the barn. Guess it is telling me to call it a day.

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Does your 444 have stock lighting if does have stock lighting module bad they like there volts to be 10 volt are more as soon turn off lights volts go back up don't run go buy module. Check with multi-meter set to VDC your looking for 13.4 are better engine running fast charging test at battery then test at center wire on Rectifier if fail that test.

unplug Rectifier with multi- meter set to VAC check to out side wires should read 27 VAC engine wide open.

Here link to your tractor Electrical System page 48 and 49 Big file take long time to load.

http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.co ... marked.pdf

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering that if it did not make good contact with the service plate would it cause a charging issue? My headlights did not work until I cleaned the surface rust off that was between the grill and the light housing parts.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
The best way to get a good ground to the rectifier is to run a wire directly from the 1/4" bolt that holds the rectifier to the service plate to the negative ground terminal on the battery.......AND make sure the rectifier has a nice clean path to ground through the chassis... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the rectifier off and cleaned everything. Looked like new. Cleaned the terminals and ran a wire from one of the bolts to the nrgitive side of the battery. Started her and turned on the lights. WOW. They went from dull yellow to bright white.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a 3x3 box with the heat sink (fins) on it. From the back side you can see a circuit borad inside of it and it has a rubber like substance poured over it, filling the cavity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.