Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what could be the problem it will not go into high at all not even by slowly moving the go lever any help is appreciated gettin an early jump on plow days and got a little dirt work to do
thanks Todd
74 444

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Check out Bart's suggestion first.

HOWEVER......................if the lever IS hooked to the sliding bar and you can't get the lever to engage Hi Range........then I must caution you about driving the tractor so much as one foot. It might well be that your carrier bolts have failed. This is a dangerous situation for your trans-axle. If a piece of one of those bolts gets caught by the Lo Range gear, it will drive that piece right through the cast steel housing without much warning.

You need to go to the FAQ's and read the document "I need help with my trans-axle" .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well started the tear down today didnt get to far just the sheet metal off but I did notice when I grab the brake drum it moves around alot none of the other axles do so it looks like a full tear down is in order after I get my trucks front end done it never ends around here and the cash always runs out :eh:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
finally found time to finish tearing the trans out its on the bench it is not as bad as I thought the only reason it would not go into high is the lever was rusty the bolts are fine but I will replace them since I am in here. There is a bearing out on the brake shaft is there suppose to be two one on each side and how do you get the shaft out?
thanks Todd

·
Registered
318 Posts
bigplow said:
finally found time to finish tearing the trans out its on the bench it is not as bad as I thought the only reason it would not go into high is the lever was rusty the bolts are fine but I will replace them since I am in here. There is a bearing out on the brake shaft is there suppose to be two one on each side and how do you get the shaft out?
thanks Todd
no bearings, they are of sleeve or flanged type.
only bearings are at the end of axle shafts if I am not mistaken.

to get the brake out, inside the transaxle there should be a clip, pop this out then pull the brake drum.
the gear itself should slide off (it has a woodruf key to stop it spinning on the shaft).

parts break down will show you in finer detail.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
To remove the brake shaft:
Using a long punch and hammer, just place the punch on the inside end of the shaft and give it a sharp rap with the hammer. There is a round cross section snap ring inside the bore that engages a groove in the shaft. That is all that holds it in. The bushings can be driven out with an appropriate driver. Socket and old extension work for me!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help I have it all apart and going to get a couple of parts the one brake shaft bearing was in a million pieces in the bottom of the trans the other trans I was going to use to get it going I need this thing back together needs axle bearings and seals the one I just took out are fine just needs the brake shaft ones so since the budget wont allow me a full rebuild fix whats broke and do the other trans when budget allows

thanks Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.