Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guys,
This may be a strange request, but apparently on the 446 I'm working on, there is no detent on the forward/reverse shift lever under the dash directly under the lever. I see a pin that comes out to 12 o' clock position, and I see the mounting holes on the dash from where the detent used to be mounted, but I couldn’t find it in the parts diagram. It would be great if this would hold the neutral position. Does anyone know what it looks like, so I can make one, or does anyone have an extra?
TIA!
Andy

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The part you are apparently missing is called the Neutral Safety Switch. It is a curved nylon block that has a stud in the middle of it that has a wire connected to it. This wire is part of the safety system for your tractor because it prevents the tractor from being started UNLESS the Travel Lever is in neutral. A new switch is less than $30.00 and you can order it from either of our two resident dealers.

http://www.casegardentractorparts.com/ or Brian Hildreth/Salem Power will have it. You will also need the two carriage bolts and nuts that hold the switch on. If you look in the Parts Manual for your tractor's serial number, you will find that switch on the page with all of the other electrical items.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just a quick question when were the safety switches introduced because Iv looked at a few manuals from the 80s and they have thease switch circuits in but my 1980 444 has no sign of them

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Have you examined the Parts Manual that coincides with the serial number of your tractor? We probably have that manual in our Tech Library. Safety switches began in the sixties and continued to the present. It began with a neutral start switch and then a PTO switch. By the end of the 80's, the Operator Presence or Seat Switch came into vogue. I can assure you that your 444 left the factory with a PTO switch and a Neutral Safety Switch on the travel lever. If you look on your dashboard where the Travel Lever passes through, there is a slot you can look through to see the small indicator rod. Just above that slot and on either side of it, there will be either a hole or the head of a carriage bolt. That carriage bolt secures the Neutral Safety switch to the dash. Someone may have cut the wire off of it but I bet that the serrated nylon block is still there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for info. Yes the block is still there but there is no sign of any switches at all. Whoever took them out must have done a very good job To my knolage it hasn't had a safety switch since we had it, about 20 yrs

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The block IS the switch. There is a brass rivet in the middle of it that has a black wire attached to it. When the tiny rod is in the neutral position, the rod rests on the brass rivet and that allows the start solenoid to get grounded. In between the neutral safety switch and the solenoid is a micro switch that is activated by the PTO engagement lever on the side of your dash tower. The wire leaves the solenoid's small terminal, goes to the PTO switch and then goes to the Neutral Safety switch to complete the electrical circuit if all switches are activated.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Over the years, Case used several styles. However, the Parts Manual depictions are very accurate. Look in the correct Parts Manual for your tractor on the page that shows all the electrical devices.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
stevebgr said:
Thank will have a good look for signs of wires next time I get it out, what would the pto switch look like?
The PTO switch is probably mounted on the right side just inside the access panel in the dash tower. The wiring for all the safety switches is black so follow any black wires you run across and they should lead you to the treasure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.