Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model B43M-GA016/3622A starts up instantly and runs as it should until it warms up, sputters for a few sec. and then stalls. If I apply choke it will continue running poorly ( about 1/2 throttle) for a short while but eventually stalls. Removed gas tank cap, removed & cleaned gas tank, adjusted points, new plugs, removed, cleaned, installed brass float, pulse(pump) diaphragm, reinstalled carb, replaced complete fuel line, new pulse line, pulse seems ok ?, checked timing...still absolutely no change. Have yet to check valve lash. guess thats next.
Any suggestions?? I installed a clear piece of gas line the last 6" at the carb to see what the gas is doing. Gas line always maintains full line so I'm fairly certain it is not a suction issue

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you check compression? Sounds like it may not be building good compression. Gasket issues or valve issues could be small enough that when heat is applied they open up and cause it not to run well. Other than that you seem to have checked everything that would normally cause this issue. Check your oil as well to make sure you don't have bad piston rings causing excessive blow-by.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,224 Posts
Don't overlook the electrical to the ignition coil.

Could be the ignition switch or wires to the coil heating up with run time and choking off the ignition. You could put a volt meter on the coil + terminal and watch it as the condition deteriorates.

The ignition switches on these are a known maintenance item ... simply weren't designed to run 30-50 years!

Brian

·
Registered
291 Posts
A problem I had with my Case 446 with the B43M engine was the points cover was so close to the wire that it would cut out. Took me a while to find that. Rerouted the wire and pushed the tin up a little on the points cover and put in a piece of cardboard inside in the cover so it could not short there again. Been fine ever since.

Noel

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I had one that did the same thing. It ended up being the onan style fuel pump. I ended up installing one like this.
Gas Camera accessory Auto part Cookware and bakeware Circle

this seemed to fix my issues with it running like what you described.. I will never deal with the onan rectangle pump again. I will convert all to the newer style pump.

another key note is if the intake is not sealed correctly or gaskets old and worn then it will also run like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A problem I had with my Case 446 with the B43M engine was the points cover was so close to the wire that it would cut out. Took me a while to find that. Rerouted the wire and pushed the tin up a little on the points cover and put in a piece of cardboard inside in the cover so it could not short there again. Been fine ever since.

Noel
Will check for this. Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had one that did the same thing. It ended up being the onan style fuel pump. I ended up installing one like this. View attachment 124392

this seemed to fix my issues with it running like what you described.. I will never deal with the onan rectangle pump again. I will convert all to the newer style pump.

another key note is if the intake is not sealed correctly or gaskets old and worn then it will also run like that.
That was my next option. Possibly even go electric rather than pulse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you check compression? Sounds like it may not be building good compression. Gasket issues or valve issues could be small enough that when heat is applied they open up and cause it not to run well. Other than that you seem to have checked everything that would normally cause this issue. Check your oil as well to make sure you don't have bad piston rings causing excessive blow-by.
Comp. is 110 & 100. Will check valves next..Thanks.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
That was my next option. Possibly even go electric rather than pulse
I had a electric fuel pump on one of my tractors and everyone got jumpy about it. Saying it will over power the float and dump gas in the cylinder and blow the engine.
I don’t completely agree with that statement butI can say that it didn’t really fix my fuel issues. It wasn’t until I put the other style fuel pump on I stopped having problems.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
I had a electric fuel pump on one of my tractors and everyone got jumpy about it. Saying it will over power the float and dump gas in the cylinder and blow the engine.
I don’t completely agree with that statement butI can say that it didn’t really fix my fuel issues. It wasn’t until I put the other style fuel pump on I stopped having problems.
Before I knew better ;) I put an electric fuel pump on a GT, and yes it overpowered the float, so I added a fuel pressure regulator and set it for 1.5 PSI. Problem solved (y) Then I joined the case Yahoo group and found out they make low pressure pumps, and I had bought the 7-8 psi high pressure pump :mad: I have since added a 1-2 PSI pump to several other GT's and not had a problem yet 🤞

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting...Thank You.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,332 Posts
I have electric pumps on two of my tractors with Onan's. My other two have Kohlers with mechanical pumps. The main thing is to get one with low psi, I love the Faucet ones.

Keep the Peace
Harry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts