Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 448 that i have had to press into summer service while i fix the regular mower. Ive primarily used it to blow snow in the winter where the vague steering on ice and snow becomes mostly meaning less...
Now that im mowing with it it is very annoying and im hoping for a little guidance as to where to look and find the steering gears and what to look for to make a proper adjustment. Im sure i need the deck and mule drive off and out of the way. Do i need to raise the front or rear to get a t what i need to? Is the stuff im going to need to remove to get to it? Any hints?
Font Gas Measuring instrument Magenta Machine

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figure out WHERE the play is for starters. Often it is the wear in the front axle kingpin that allow the axle to move back and forth with steering pressure. If the pinion and sector is worn, you can decrease the clearance between the gears by removing the sector and moving shims from the top to the bottom. If the pinion gear itself is worn it can usually be improved by removing it and flipping it over and rewelding it as it generally wears at one end of the teeth only. If the drag link ends are worn, they a simple R&R. For the steering gear adjustment it would help to get the tractor off the ground some unless you have arms less than a foot long.
The king pins are OK, The drag links and rod ends are good. Not sure what the "sector" is.. I can wiggle the steering back wheel back and forth while is sitting still, and the axle pivot is worn as i can see the whole axle move to and fro a bit when the steering wheel reaches each end of its free play.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Axle kingpin is the "axle pivot", you must be referring to the spindles. Sounds like a little wear in both areas. There is a permanent repair for the axle bushing and pin in the form of a kit that both eliminates some slop in the actual pin and pulls the frame crossmember tight against the axle. Perhaps someone here knows the source.
Ok thanks for that. I was thinking like old trucks, the kingpin is what the wheel steered on. So i thought the kingpins were the part of the spindle that was up in the axle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts