Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not having any luck finding a complete assembly, I burnt the new paint and decal on the right side before I knew it was doing that. It can be repaired. onan.com hasn't returned my email message. Thanks Doc

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Doc..... I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here but why would you go to Onan.com for an exhaust system?

Onan made the engines but Case contracted with muffler companies to come up with a custom system to suit the build of the tractor. Some of the older exhaust systems are no longer being made due to lack of demand. The ones that are still being made are quite expensive to buy, again due to low turnover and demand. Use the FAQ for Ingersoll dealers and contact one of them for price and availability. There have also been threads on this site discussing the installation of heat shield material on the underside of the hood to prevent paint and decal blister.

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Doc,

I think the complete exhaust assembly for your 448 is still available (by complete I mean the muffler - not the exhaust pipes from the cylinder heads). Last time I checked with Brian Hildreth they cost around $300.00.

There have been a few threads on this site that talk about muffler/exhaust-related issues associated with the straight hood Case tractors and their tendency to burn the paint and decals near the muffler. Most people recommend placing some sort of heat shield material inside of the hood and also checking to make sure the motor isn't running lean as that will tend to raise the exhaust temps.
Good luck,
TS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hydriv said:
Doc..... I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here but why would you go to Onan.com for an exhaust system?

Onan made the engines but Case contracted with muffler companies to come up with a custom system to suit the build of the tractor. Some of the older exhaust systems are no longer being made due to lack of demand. The ones that are still being made are quite expensive to buy, again due to low turnover and demand. Use the FAQ for Ingersoll dealers and contact one of them for price and availability. There have also been threads on this site discussing the installation of heat shield material on the underside of the hood to prevent paint and decal blister.
I guess Im not to shiny , I assumed that the exhaust was attached to the engine-well you know the rest.
thanks for the heat shield info.

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
Nolan I passed out for a minute from sticker shock when I opened that link. :lol: :lol: For $100 more I can put a complete exhaust system on my truck!!

Most of the time when your muffler is rusted out the inside sound deadening material is still just fine. If you're handy with a welder you can re-wrap it with a new piece of steel and you're good to go.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Snotrocket said:
Nolan I passed out for a minute from sticker shock when I opened that link. :lol: :lol: For $100 more I can put a complete exhaust system on my truck!!

Most of the time when your muffler is rusted out the inside sound deadening material is still just fine. If you're handy with a welder you can re-wrap it with a new piece of steel and you're good to go.
DON'T SHOOT ME, I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER!
Snot, I saw the muffler on that site and only wanted to pass on the info. I realize that much can be done to remedy the outer covering. Doc was looking for options, and I threw one out there. I certainly agree, that's alot of $$$$ :446: :222:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought a new muffler when I did my 84 446. The inside tube diameter ended up being to big going into the muffler, but I found a piece to use as a spacer and then clamped it. Know one would know unless they read this thread. LOL!
I also noticed the muffler was larger in diameter to and made it tricky to fit properly. It turned into more of a head ache than it was worth for sure, knowing what I know now... I would just rewrap the original muffler and paint with high Heat paint.
I noticed one of the case ingersoll parts sites offers the outer metal tin that goes on the muffler for sale now including the ends. (I cant remember which one, the newest one?)
As for the burning through the paint on the hood. Just a simple heat refective tape will work fine. I did this on my 448 15 years ago and have had good luck with it.

I will be working on another muffler of mine soon, and I can let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, for now I attached a metal heat shield at the right end of the muffler. when I get a muffler I will probably wrap the exhaust system with heat cloth, the same cloth that is used on headers of high performance drag cars. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Some owners have opted to make their own mufflers and pipes out of stainless steel and put all this exhaust system nonsense behind them for good. There was a thread on MTF that covered this in detail and I believe that we have the odd thread in our archives that also speaks to muffler fabrication. Even if you don't own a TIG welder, you can make all of the components and pay a skilled TIG welder to stitch up the seams and joints. Even if you spend as much to do this as the cost of just an OEM muffler alone, you end up with a lifetime exhaust system. No more rust. No more exhaust leaks that spoil paint.

Eventually, those OEM mufflers won't even be available. Eastman could choose to drop them at any time and then what? Even decent used ones will skyrocket in price because NEW isn't an option. It's unlikely that anyone will "tool up" to make copies for the aftermarket due to the costs associated with doing so. How many mufflers would one need to sell in order to cover the cost of just the tooling? With a limited demand, that could be many years before a profit is realized.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.