Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if high range gearing could be sped up. Have an acreage cross town to mow and would like to "turn heads" by going 15/20+ mph. Were small tire tractors, like 220/24,s geared the same or could I swap gears from one to get more speed? John

·
Administrator
3,283 Posts
Now this is a different note, most folks complain that high range is too fast!!! Assuming that your engine is turning at 3,600 RPM at full throttle you may get a ground speed of 9 MPH. Anything much faster than that and the normal slop in the steering system will cause you to oversteer to make corrections and can become a problem.
But if your need for speed must be satisfied, you can swap the drive motor for one from a 200 series tractor. It will increase the ground speed but decrease the available torque and changes the operational characteristics of the 448. :headscratcher:
Mad Mackie in CT :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. Don't want to sacrifice low range to gain high range speed. Was hoping just a matter of swapping gears, didn't know gearing difference was in drive motor. John

·
Administrator
3,283 Posts
Hi John,
The transaxles are all pretty much the same. In 1997 a slower speed high range gearset was installed reducing the ground speed from 8.7 to 7.7 MPH, but low range remained the same.
There have been some that have changed to a 200 series motor but most or all changed back as pulling and pushing power diminished considerably.
Mad Mackie in CT

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Was wondering about mowing speed. Would like to be able to mow at the same ground speed as my newer lawn tractor but know it wont in low range. I recall a thread about this a week or two ago. My concern in doing so lies in cooling of the drive motor in high range but reduced flow. Maybe that is a reason the manual states not to mow in high range.

Anybody ever check the surface temp of the drive motor to compare?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Rockdog said:
Was wondering about mowing speed. Would like to be able to mow at the same ground speed as my newer lawn tractor but know it wont in low range. I recall a thread about this a week or two ago. My concern in doing so lies in cooling of the drive motor in high range but reduced flow. Maybe that is a reason the manual states not to mow in high range.

Anybody ever check the surface temp of the drive motor to compare?
It is not an issue.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
dwag said:
Wondering if high range gearing could be sped up. Have an acreage cross town to mow and would like to "turn heads" by going 15/20+ mph. Were small tire tractors, like 220/24,s geared the same or could I swap gears from one to get more speed? John
The best way to get more ground speed out of any Case tractor is to do two things.

1. Put a trailer hitch on your car/truck

2. Purchase a small tag-a-long trailer that is large enough and strong enough to transport the 448.

There won't be any way to turn heads with the above method. The other way would turn definitely turn heads when you crash your 448 after hitting some sort of problem with the road at 20 mph due to it not having brakes or suspension and the ambulance arrives to scrape you off the pavement. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
423 Posts
eBoyDog said:
dwag said:
I could holler "HEY YALL, WATCH THIS"!!!!
As the rearend bolts break going 20 MPH and find you have nothing to slow you down.... :shock:
Not a problem thats when you toss out the cinder block then pop the chute....or was it pop chute then throw out the cinder block. But anywho for a little extree insurance you have to say a little prayer. :thumbsup:

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.