Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The hood scoop was present for only one year, I believe and that was the first year of the 448.

This appears to be just another example of what's going on out there today. The seller says that the hood came from a "running tractor". In other words, he's made a conscious decision to destroy a usable tractor just to make a fast buck.

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
What will hood go for I'm thinking of bidding on this Item because i have 1980 448 with exhaust cutout all my tractors come from junk tractors. The 448 I have is work tractor just want hoard parts for future.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I can't predict what the hammer price will be. It all comes down to how many guys want a hood with scoop. I've seen these hoods bring as much as $90.00. On the other hand, I've bought hoods that don't have a scoop for as little as $10.00.

Shipping on items of that size is expensive so don't get carried away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This guy has 60 items and 3+ days to go on his auction,,

The 41 parts that have received bids, from the 448 currently total $779.23 USD.

There are 19 items that haven't received a bid yet... I don't see a deck offered or any other attachments..

What could he have realized had he auctioned the 448 as a complete unit?

He would have saved all the time it must of taken him to dissassemble it.

Just an observation... too much time on my hands.........

Where'd all the snow go????

Kevin B.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Parting out is labor intensive.

First, you have to power wash the entire tractor to get the worst of the crap off.

Then you have to carefully dismantle it, piece by piece. As you do that, you have to inspect each and every part to see whether it's worn out or still usable. The usable parts must be washed clean in a solvent tank, blown dry, tagged and cataloged for the sale.

If you snap off a bolt in the block while removing the exhaust, then what? You either remove that broken bolt or you take a big hit on the hammer price.

You have to pay e-Bay listing fees for each item whether it sells or not and then you pay a selling fee on top. Of course, Paypal also takes a bite when the Buyer sends you payment.

Then comes the fun of finding suitable boxes to ship stuff in, making out address labels, taking items to the post office and paying them. Hopefully you charged enough for shipping because you don't get to come back on the Buyer for your mistakes. In the meantime, you have to deal with the questions that come in about each item, hope that nothing gets lost in the mail and then accept the occasional loss when some scamming buyer says he never got the item, when in fact he did get it.

Can you make money parting out a tractor on e-Bay? Sure but you have to work hard for that money.

Yes Virginia, there are tractors out there that should be parted out because they would cost a lot of time and money to bring them back. Secondly, those tractors are not in short supply nor are they "special" for some reason. Parting out should be done by people who are experts, not by those who don't have a clue what they are doing.

Who would condone parting out a T-90, Torq, Spirit of 76, Golden Demonstrator, Black Knight Demonstrator, any Colt model, Case I80, Case 107, early 108's, Case PK's and a few others.

If someone is just in the biz to find old tractors and part them out for money, then there's no telling what treasures may be destroyed out of sheer ignorance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hydriv said:

First, you have to power wash the entire tractor to get the worst of the crap off.
Huh ?

That must not be a strict rule..... Some of the stuff I bought should have come with a bucket of oil dry ! LOL !

And the stuff they use for "packing".... oh boy.......

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
60impala said:
This guy has 60 items and 3+ days to go on his auction,,
The 41 parts that have received bids, from the 448 currently total $779.23 USD.
There are 19 items that haven't received a bid yet... I don't see a deck offered or any other attachments..
What could he have realized had he auctioned the 448 as a complete unit?
He would have saved all the time it must of taken him to dissassemble it.
Just an observation... too much time on my hands.........
Where'd all the snow go????
Kevin B.
I think the complete 448 with hood scoop would have got some attention on E-Bay. I was trying to find one before I got my 446.
I guess I am somewhat guilty of promoting this by posting the hood. But once its apart.... Sometimes I see a stern message on these auctions;entire tractor is not for sale! They probably don't want to hear a good offer after its too late! I hate to see a decent and running tractor parted out.
The snow is gone here except for the big piles. Great South Bay is wide open. 50F today 17F tomorrow night, spring must be coming! :crazy: :222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah, I also hate to see rebuildable/restorable machines dismantled and sold for parts. The abused work of art I'm working on now would most likely have been parted out by most people, but I will get it all back in shape as my budget allows. All in all it's really a shame because everything wrong was caused by abuse and neglect. The only maintenance was the steering was greased as needed (was easier to keep steering greased than have hard steering I assume). Maybe some units are past the point of no return, but parting out good machines because of greed is a shame.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
grummy said:
Hydriv said:

Huh ?

That must not be a strict rule..... Some of the stuff I bought should have come with a bucket of oil dry ! LOL !

And the stuff they use for "packing".... oh boy.......
Grummy,
You have to stop buying stuff from Rol.

:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hydriv said:
This appears to be just another example of what's going on out there today. The seller says that the hood came from a "running tractor". In other words, he's made a conscious decision to destroy a usable tractor just to make a fast buck.
I hate when that happens...
With some elbow grease and determination it could have looked like this...

or even better yet, like the one grummy restored :thumbsup: man, that's a nice machine.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billygoat said:
Yeah, I also hate to see rebuildable/restorable machines dismantled and sold for parts. The abused work of art I'm working on now would most likely have been parted out by most people, but I will get it all back in shape as my budget allows. All in all it's really a shame because everything wrong was caused by abuse and neglect. The only maintenance was the steering was greased as needed (was easier to keep steering greased than have hard steering I assume). Maybe some units are past the point of no return, but parting out good machines because of greed is a shame.
Billygoat: I'm glad that 444 got a good home. No doubt you'll have it top notch.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tanandorange said:
Hydriv said:
I hate when that happens...
With some elbow grease and determination it could have looked like this...

or even better yet, like the one grummy restored :thumbsup: man, that's a nice machine.
John: I'll say it again, that 448 was one of the nicest Case GTs I have ever seen. What a flawless restoration you did.

·
Registered
568 Posts
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
John: I'll say it again, that 448 was one of the nicest Case GTs I have ever seen. What a flawless restoration you did.
Thanks, Rich, you're making my hat tighten up! :grin:
It looked pretty good, but I didn't get quite as far into little details as grummy did on his. If I were doing it again there would be no paint on the tie rod ends (and no bend in the tie rod :shock: ), a correct seat, and a little better engine detailing. The prepwork i did on the frame and footboards could have been a little better, too. The 190 frame will definitely get sandblasted if I ever get around to working on it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.