Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a non running 448(backfires only) for a really good price. Haven't had time to get into it yet but it has a horrific screeching sound when the starter is engaged. Originally assumed the starter/flywheel ring or internal damage was the cause and was why the price was right on the tractor package. This machine also has oil accumulated in the air filter housing and on top of the block (but more on this later). Poking around the engine compartment I saw that the pto clutch assembly is pushed into the screen by at least 1/4-1/2" whereas on one of my other 448's there is around 1/4" clearance between back of pto clutch hub and the front of the screen,maybe get lucky and is just sheet metal interference. Also, regarding the oil in the air filter could be caused by the broken reed valve spring, chunk of it is missing and torn gaskets for the cover plates. Is there a spec for the length of the reed valve spring as I have a couple of boxes of compression springs and would probably have something that would work. Always an interesting gamble buying these old tractors, never really sure what you are going to end up with.

·
Administrator
6,445 Posts
I don't suppose you would happen to know the year of the tractor? I don't see much of an issue, unless the screen is misshaped? Flywheel goes on, screen is next, and the hub of the PTO clutch bolts over top that.

What's confusing is in any setup like that, is why you'd have a 1/4 gap between the hub and the screen. I think, most of mine were tight to the screen,,, which I think, is as it should be.

Perhaps I misunderstand your question?

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lionel, the tractor is a 1980, with a B48M. What I was thinking is that the screen is pushed in far enough that is maybe contacting the flywheel. The other tractor is also a 1980 but with a Linamar engine,the pto seems to engage well on it but haven't run it long enough with a belt on it to see if the clutch spacing will cause any problems

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,499 Posts
Lionel, the tractor is a 1980, with a B48M. What I was thinking is that the screen is pushed in far enough that is maybe contacting the flywheel. The other tractor is also a 1980 but with a Linamar engine,the pto seems to engage well on it but haven't run it long enough with a belt on it to see if the clutch spacing will cause any problems
The screen rotates with the flywheel so that shouldn't be a concern.

Bob

·
Administrator
6,445 Posts
Yes of course it does! Is this what they call having a "senior moment"
We all have, shall we say moments? That's what my wife said, (still love her though) a couple of weeks ago.

Took some time off work, doing work at my daughters house. So, in the morning my wife and I drive over to Quesnel, and I work non stop till about 8:00 PM. (No rest for the wicked, with limited time) Wife takes pity on me,, so she says she'll go get me a Big Macs coffee. She returns, coffee in hand, hands it to me and says, enjoy your coffee. Of course, this is out of norm, so I say why? She says,, well, as I was going through the drive-true, I might have misjudged my distance,, Huh? That was my $10,000 coffee that I did not get to enjoy,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts