Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! New to this forum. Need help! I have a new to me Ingersoll 448 with Onan engine. It won’t start back up after its been running. I finally get it running, it’s been sitting for 2 years, and it won’t restart after its been running. It turns over but won’t fire. It runs smooth when it runs. Here’s what’s been replaced with new, points and condenser w OEM, plugs, wires, coil, fuel pump and filter. What am I missing?

·
Administrator
4,370 Posts
Need to follow the basics. Does it fire at all if a little gas is squirted in the carb when restarting? How is the spark when hot? Sometimes a coil will work well cold and even keep up when running but lacks energy when restarting when warm, when the requirement for a hot spark is most essential.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need to follow the basics. Does it fire at all if a little gas is squirted in the carb when restarting? How is the spark when hot? Sometimes a coil will work well cold and even keep up when running but lacks energy when restarting when warm, when the requirement for a hot spark is most essential.
UPDATE: If I turn it off, it turns over extremely slow. If I let it sit for 20 minutes, it turns over fast and fires right back up and runs great. What’s causing the drag? Something in the hydraulics? I’ve also replaced the starter switch, solenoid, and starter this past winter because I couldn’t get it to turn over fast enough to fire. It now turns over fast when the engine is cold but it’s 80 degrees outside. Can the hydraulic pump be causing this?

·
Administrator
2,873 Posts
I would be looking at lubrication and cooling

As a kid I had a 1966 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with a 429 that did this. If i went anywhere I had to stay there at least 1/2 an hour to wait for the for the engine to cool. (Every try to buy gas with the engine running?) It had bad oil rings and got "tight" when hot - even in the winter. The starter could not budge it until it cooled down.

1. What oil do you have in the crank case. Is the level correct?
  2. Is there a new clean oil filter installed?
  3. Do you have all the correct cooling tins on the engine with none missing?
  4. Is the screen on the front of the flywheel (behind/around the pto) cleared of debris so air can be sucked in?
  5. Do you have the gasket that goes around the oil filter and have it installed?
  6. Are the fins and verticle passages in the cylinder heads free of grease, debris, gunk and other flotsam? (video of what they should look like...
    )
  7. What oil do you have in the hydraulic system. Is the level correct?

k0jdd

---

PS - It's always good to know and to tell us the following when you post:
  • What year is it? You can tell by the serial number of the tractor.
  • What is the spec and serial number of the Onan? It may not be the original.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 446 and it was because I covered up the breather hole on top of carb with a gasket. Once I punched the gasket open at the hole I never had a problem after that.
Here’s a pic off that small hole where the gasket below was blocking it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim Alloy wheel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts