Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi troops,
This 444 has been in my shop several times in the past and is back with a steering problem. Tractors of this vintage have a cast steel lower steering support with a pin and nut for the sector gear. This pin loosens in time and causes to sector gear to move away from the steering shaft gear, an upgraded kit is available to remedy this problem, also the sector gear has been upgraded. I have removed the hyd oil reservoir, cooler, battery tray and engine which also needs new mounts as the engine makes contact with the frame during operation. I always fine other areas that need attention with the engine out of the way. Fortunately the owner had a spare steering wheel as the original was rusted in the shaft bore beyond serviceability. This is the type with a keyed shaft, nut and washer holding the wheel in place.
When the engine mounts on Kohler K series engine powered tractors sag and the engine makes contact with the tractor frame, vibration from this affects every component on the tractor that is sensitive to vibration.
I have been taking some pics and will post them soon.:cool:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I replaced my motor mounts this summer. It was amazing how wear occurred between the flat head screws that hold the motor to the mounts and the frame. Mine was so bad it cracked the oil drain elbow as nipple was contacting the hole in frame and motor mount plate. New rubber mounts got the nipple centered in the holes as it should be.

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Troops,
Had to do some electrical repairs to my Scag ZTR and then do some leaf cleanup! Nasty oak leaves!
Parts order for this 444 are due in today and as I progress I will take pics and post them. I will need to place another parts order as I have found other problematic areas which I always do when I have removed the engine.:cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bob,

I could use your help. I was running my tractor cutting the grass-&-leaves mixture yesterday when the steering went out. The steering wheel spins freely in both directions and the tires won't move at all.

I have an Ingersoll 4018, Serial Number: 17194696, Briggs & Stratton 18 hp V-Twin Vanguard Engine. Engine Model: 350447, Type:1111-E1, Code: 0403104.

Your post on the steering repair caught my attention. You mentioned an upgraded kit is available to remedy this problem, also the sector gear has been upgraded. Can you forward where to purchase this kit along with instructions on how to remove the steering wheel. Do I have to remove the engine to get at the problem?.

I managed to get the tractor back to the shed with a struggle. It was dark and the deck is still on the machine. Today we had our first snow of the season, so I will have to wait a few days until it melts to pull the deck off outside of the shed. Just not enough room in the shed.

I hope I'm not hijacking your post or should I start a new one?

gman28

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi gman28,
Here is a link to the parts manual for your tractor.
Pages 24 and 25 show the belly pan, item 23, item 24 are the plastic push pins that hold the belly pan on, remove them and the belly pan. This exposes the underside area where the steering gears are located.
Pages 32 and 33 show the steering system components related to the steering wheel and what it moves when turned. Items 6 and 8 are related to item 12, the steering gear. When manual steering problems relating to the steering wheel turning freely, this is the area to look at.
Pages 34 and 35 show the rest of the steering system all the way out to the front wheels.:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Troops,
More stuff with this cranky old 444! Lots of small but time consuming items to address on this machine, but I'm getting there!:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Troops,
More pics of the 444!:cool:
Was moving stones today with my 6018L at a construction site for a friend, long hose to PS cylinder is dripping oil, new hose time!:cool: Job was finished today and my 6018L will be coming back home!:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Troops,
more progress with this 444 today. I'm having some lower back problems so I used my engine hoist to pick up the engine and place onto the tractor frame. My hoist is the fold up type so easy to store when not in use. More pics!:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Troops,
Waiting for more parts orders to arrive for this 444. Meanwhile I need to do engine oil and filter changes on my Scag ZTR and my 6018L and put the Scag in storage after a final mowing and leaf cleanup. I will be doing more servicing of the 444 as I need to remove the fuel tank and front panel, so it will be here for a while longer. I will take pics and post them as I get into the rear area of the 444.:cool:

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Troops,
Aftermarket axle pins arrived today and I installed it on this 444. IMHO, this kit is the single best aftermarket improvement item for 200, 4000, 3000 and 4000 series tractors!!!
Check out the pics.:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Troops,
Before I get into cleaning and inspecting the hyd tank and oil cooler, I'm going to disassemble, inspect and reassemble the clutch. This tractor has an EZ Adjust clutch that I may have installed years back. As it has been a while since I've had a 200 or 400 series tractor here for service, I will update Mac's Corner and this thread with the clutch pics and info probably on Friday or Saturday.
Meanwhile, have a great Thanksgiving everyone!:cool:
Mad Mackie turns 79 on Friday, he's old! LOL!🤓

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Troops,
I did the clutch stuff today. As this 444 has an EZ Adjust clutch, I removed the components, cleaned, inspected, reassembled and adjusted it. Check the pics.:cool:
I will need several posts to get in all the pics.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More clutch pics:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi Troops,
I cleaned the oil cooler and straightened most of the cooling fins, installed it, installed the oil tank, connected the hoses, smaller ones are new. Pics to come soon!:cool:
Getting close to making some smoke and carbon monoxide with this old rig! O ring for dip stick is P/N C28317.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Troops,
Started the engine today but didn't see any hyd oil circulating, shut the engine down. Disconnected the input tube fitting at the rear PTO, put a hose and container on it, restarted the engine and got oil flow, reconnected it and operated all hydraulic items, topped off the oil level in the tank and drove the tractor around for a while, rechecked the oil level, OK. The old 14 Kohler took a while to get engine oil circulating and the engine quieted down. Having been an aircraft mech, I'm sensitive to vibration, so as I was running this tractor around I recalled why I sold my old Economy 1416. Although it was a great tractor, with the 14 Kohler bolted directly to the tractor frame, it vibrated beyond my maximum tolerance level. It also took much longer to plow snow with is as it had a 3 speed manual transmission, actually it had two transmissions in tandem which was an option back then. When I was introduced to a Case 446, the Economy was put in storage for years. The previous owner of it bought it back from me, he missed it!:cool:
The starter/generator on this 444 isn't charging. I don't remember what I used to do to get these critters to charge. Any recommendations appreciated! :cry::cool:

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,689 Posts
Bob it could be the generator not charging or even possibly the regulator. Let us know what you find, I'm sure you will sort it out.
Keep the ✌
Harry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts