Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
I wish 900# at full height. The brochure I have for a 648 says 600# at full height and a breakout capacity of 1100#. I run three sets of wheel weights and six 42#suitcase weights. I haven't seen how much ballast Case recommended.

· Registered
579 Posts
There seems to be a considerable variation between the specs listed for some Case 644/646/648 loaders compared to Ingersoll 6018/6020/7020 loaders. I am not aware of any significant design changes to the cylinders or lift geometry, so I wonder if the differences were a result of changes in how the technical specifications are measured/calculated. The 644 loaders started production in 1972 and the last Ingersoll version stopped in 2004 (I think).

This might be a good opportunity to consolidate (and document) relevant information. I don’t have any 6xx reference manuals, and there are none in the technical library here.

Here are numbers from the Ingersoll Loader Operator’s Manuals:
*Ingersoll WHEEL LOADER 6018 BACKHOE BH750WD Operator’s Manual 8-56340 (9-88-RP-500-324)
*Ingersoll LOADER/TRACTOR 6018L & 6018BH Operator’s Manual 8-59730 (7-95-RP-200)
*Ingersoll LOADER/TRACTOR 7000 SERIES Operator’s Manual 8-60680 (in the reference library here)

Breakout Capacity: 1375lb. (623.7kg).
Load Lift Capacity (full height): 750lb. (340.2kg).

If you have a 6xx series manual, please post the relevant data and identify the source (manual/revision).

· Registered
261 Posts
This info came out of a J.I.Case brochure that I have a pdf file of on the 648 Loader/Backhoe.
I don't see a date on it. It's a nice 12 page brochure.
The caution warnings came out of the 644 - 646 Wheel Loader Operator's Manual No. 9-7091.
Sounds like us three digit guys are getting screwed out of 150#.

· Registered
579 Posts
I did a little more research to narrow down the max load lift capacity and found a couple more clues.

Reference:
Ingersoll WHEEL LOADER 6018 BACKHOE BH750WD Operator’s Manual 8-56340 (9-88-RP-500-324).
I think the 9-88 indicates a 1988 version. The serial number/model year reference we use shows 1989 as the first production year for a 6018. Assuming “model year” does not mean “calendar year” then this would be an early manual.

The Specifications (page 21) shows:
Load Lift Capacity (full height): 750lb. (340.2kg). However, page “v” in the Safety Messages section states:
“CAUTION: The proper amount of rear counter weighting is required to achieve proper balance and stability when using the front loader. To use the loader to its full 600 pound lift capacity, put 500 pounds in the weight box. If wheel weights are used, the weight of these may be subtracted from the weight in the weight box.”

I assume the “600 pound lift capacity” is a typo. The model year chart shows 1988 as the last year for the Case 648, so the 6018 manual was likely based on this model. My guess is the technical writers used a 648 manual as a starting point for the 6018 and overlooked the safety message.

Ingersoll LOADER/TRACTOR 6018L & 6018BH Operator’s Manual 8-59730 (7-95-RP-200). I think this is a 1995 version manual.
This manual also shows:

Load Lift Capacity (full height): 750lb. (340.2kg) and the safety message states:
“CAUTION: The proper amount of rear counter weighting is required to achieve proper balance and stability when using the front loader. To use the loader to its full 750 pound lift capacity, put 500 pounds in the weight box. If wheel weights are used, the weight of these may be subtracted from the weight in the weight box.”

Looks like the “typo” from the early manual has been corrected.

Ingersoll LOADER/TRACTOR 7000 SERIES Operator’s Manual 8-60680 (in the reference library here). There is no revision level reference but these models were introduced around 2000 (anyone know the earliest production date?). This manual also shows:

Load Lift Capacity (full height): 750lb. (340.2kg) and the safety message states:
“CAUTION: The proper amount of rear counter weighting is required to achieve proper balance and stability when using the front loader. To use the loader to its full 750 pound lift capacity, put 500 pounds in the weight box. If wheel weights are used, the weight of these may be subtracted from the weight in the weight box.”

· Banned
12,618 Posts
When examining printed information, you must factor in that some of the ratings are based on informing the inexperienced operator about the limitations of the tractor. The 600 LB or 750 LB rating is the "SAFE" amount the tractor can lift to full height when loading a truck or other elevated area. Case and Ingersoll have no way of predicting how the tractor will be used or who will use the tractor once it leaves the factory. The lawyers are there to safeguard the company from lawsuits.

Operator experience along with common sense, play a huge part in what a loader can do in special circumstances. It's all about knowing what your machine will do at certain points of the lift. Many machines will pick up a massive load that far exceeds the factory rating but you must carry that load just a few inches off the ground. If you try to lift it higher, then the load often moves away from the tractor as the bucket begins to travel through its ARC and that arc can cause the tractor to tip forward and place the bucket back onto the ground. More counterweight at the rear is needed to overcome this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.