Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After disassembling the valves during the tractor refresh I needed to make sure the relief settings were correct. I referred to the manual for specs and procedure. In addition I read posts from here to see what others experienced.

I’ve been taking my time at this and making it a week long project. At the beginning of the week I hooked up a pressure gauge to the travel control valve and started adjusting relief settings. The gauge is on a 4 foot hose. It’s messy getting the plug out and hose screwed in. I zip tied the gauge to a convenient location and did some pushing against a pea stone pile for travel circuit tests.

Removing the acorn nut covering the adjustment bolt required a 3/4” wrench and it was all I could do to loosen the bolt with the tips of my fingers. Replacing the nut is even harder, but I think I have the hang of it. It is in a very awkward spot…..

The relief screw for the travel circuit requires a 1/4” hex wrench, but the wrench would not fit. I used the timely tip idea to access the adjustment from the drivers side rear bolt hole on the 3 pt hitch.

I cut the elbow off a spare Allen wrench and welded it to a piece of 3/8” rod. With that I was able to engage the adjusting screw and precisely make adjustments in 1/4 turn increments.

My starting reading was 1500 PSI, where the tractor wheels stopped moving and I could hear the relief chatter. It took a total of 3 quarter turn adjustments to get to 2300 PSI. I am debating whether I should tempt fate and make one more tweak to get to the specified 2400 PSI. As it is, I can still stop the wheels and have it go to relief with an aggressive push into the pile, but I can get a full bucket without much argument.

Testing the lift circuit by bottoming the cylinders, I found that it was on the money at 1150 PSI.

For the loader reading I bottomed the curl cylinder. The loader appears to be running high at 1500 PSI. The manual states that it should be the same pressure as the lift circuit. I guess I should dial this back. What is at risk on the loader circuit? Hoses, cylinder seals and the valve o-rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1973 Case 644
145 Posts
I would dial back the hydraulic pressure to 1150. The actual hydraulic parts should be rated for 3000psi but at 1500psi at the circuit your biggest risk is picking up too much weight and tipping. Especially if you let someone inexperienced run it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts