Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin has a 6018 loader tractor. While shoveling dirt into the bucket, he let the tractor continue to run. He was moving mulch and it had started and run for a while. The pile was needing cleaned up because it was small enough to move when attacked once again with the loader. So he let it run while shoveling mulch into the bucket.

Tractor died and hasn't started since. No solenoid click or anything. He stuck the battery charger on it, and no help. while I was on the phone with him, I convince him to test the volts the battery was putting out. Something like 13.2v, so that was good.

Any ideas why he can't get it to start? Or at least why no clicks to attempt to start? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
There are a number of things, check the fuse, dirty or corroded or loose wire connections. I had a loose wire on the amp meter. Ignition switches are wear items so it needs to be checked.

Here is a link were the starter solenoid had an intermittent click and no start. The safety's had enough current drop that the solenoid would not fully engage when it clicked, but did have enough to activate a relay that supplies power from the battery to the solenoid thru the relay.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
6,445 Posts
I'd say the first thing to check is the fuse,, switch interlocks (safety switches), and ground.
After that, it gets a bit more difficult but a good test light would identify where the problem is,
He'll have to track the electrical path of the wiring,,

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuse was good. By looking at wiring diagram for the tractor I was able to convince him to try to trace from switch to safety, to starter. Next morning he tried to follow the wire up from solenoid to switch. No safety in it. Blue wire from starter to key. Supposed to by book be green from switch to safety/ then blue from safety to the starter. Okay that didn't work but he found a wire end without a home. It was just hanging there. After a bit he found a spade w/o a wire. Plugged them together as a possibility. Hoped he hadn't screwed up! Tractor started and is running at will! Problem solved.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts