Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6018 travel control lever got stuck depressed at full speed today! Of course it happened as I was headed towards quite a hill. I was able to easily pull it up with the side of my boot...so I assume a spring broke.

I will pull it into the garage tonight and take a look.

I did a quick search here...WOW there is so much great information and pictures. I sure have a good understanding of the workings before I even take a look underneath.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So while I have the tractor in the garage, I am going to adjust the travel control using the excellent guide on this site! My travel pedal hits the footrest and I am guessing the tractor will move faster if it will have full range of travel.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=270&hilit=pedal+6018&start=0

There seems to be a lot of friction (almost like something is bent or misaligned) in the spot indicated in the picture below. The slot is worn on one side as well...I assume it was uniform when new? I only had a few minutes to look around today. I will start to take things apart tomorrow.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The travel control linkage on these loaders is fussy. There are a number of parts involved and any wear or misadjustment will amplify travel issues. Sometimes everything can look good from below. You need to know what the top of the banana plate and moving parts look like. I suggest you take everything in the travel control linkage loose and inspect carefully. Replace anything with even the slightest wear.
Contact Brian for the parts you need.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mikebramel said:
Better to hit the foot rest than bottom out on the valve or linkage everytime
From the manual, step one states to not hit the foot rest:
TRAVEL PEDAL AND LINKAGE FOR THE CONTROL VALVE
For full speed and power the travel pedal and linkage must work correctly. When you actuate the travel pedal:
1. The pedal must not hit the foot rest.
2. The control pin must not hit the end of the slot in the control plate.
If this occurs, check the linkage for wear or check the ball joint adjustment, make sure the control pin is tightened fully.
1. Replace any worn linkage parts.
2. Adjust the ball joints. Turn either in or out to get equal speed and power in both "FORWARD" or "REVERSE" travel. Make sure ball joints are tightened fully.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It does look like your plate is original. You can adjust it either way but you will lose speed on the other. I dont know how many hours but at 500 mine was junk. Total, completely, not useable. If you can lift up and down on the pedal without affecting the spool you need to replace parts

·
Registered
579 Posts
mikebramel said:
For full pedal travel, would you rather slam down on the valve or linkage or the foot rest?
Mike has a point. On the loader Travel Control Valve (TCV), for forward travel, the banana plate moves forward and the spool is pulled out of the TCV. For reverse, the banana plate moves rearward and pushes the spool in. The banana plate movement is not symmetric or equal and I have always found reverse to be a little"touchy".

The manual advises:
1. The pedal must not hit the foot rest.
2. The control pin must not hit the end of the slot in the control plate.

Ideally, I think the best outcome is for the pedal to touch the foot rest just at the point of full forward and full reverse. This would take unnecessary stress off of the TCV. Unfortunately, with the linkage geometry I don't think this is possible. Personally, I adjust forward to attain max travel speed when the pedal touches the foot rest. Reverse does not touch the foot rest.

Here is my rationale:
I am more likely to stomp the pedal in forward because I have a clear view of where I am going.
I am more cautious in reverse (for safety reasons) and, since reverse is a little touchy, I never stomp down hard anyway. So I am less likely to stress the TCV.
I am reluctant to recommend this as a "best practice" because my 6018 is the only loader I have used and others may have different experiences.

Once you get all the wear items replaced, experiment with minor adjustments to get the best results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh...I think I understand what Mike was getting it. Sorry Mike!

My plate is original with 425 hours on the tractor. It seems to have the proper clearance and operation. The pedal works the TCV with very little play. I will keep an eye on it over the next few operating hours.

I think I am going to attach a small stop block to the footrest so the pedal will bottom out on that. It will be a better ergonomic position for me than bottoming out the pedal.

Thanks for the great advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.