Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll start by saying I am not a master mechanic.

I went to fire up the 6018 yesterday. She cranked over as normal (very strong and battery is still reading 12.7v), but wouldn't fire up. Tried a few times, but no joy. Then I sprayed some starter fluid down her throat and she still wouldn't fire up. This leads me to believe it is spark related.

What could be causing this and what should I check on her to troubleshoot?

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,139 Posts
If you pull a spark plug and crank it over, with the plug hooked up to the plug wire while grounding the plug to a clean metal surface on the engine, you should see a spark jump across the electrode. If no spark I would next check the points and condenser. This is my old school way of analyzing your situation that I and many others have came across. Good luck Hydro!
Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please see section 8-1 of the Onan service manual.
So I wrote out long explanation and went to post says awaiting moderator approval, shortened to above. No clue why I bothered since I clearly can't post without prior approval!!!!!

Good luck
Jim

·
1,767 Posts
What engine is in that 6018? It could be Points or could be an Onan with electronic ignition. As harry says check for spark. Not in the bright sunlight you won't see it even if its there. Check for 12 volts on one of the 2 terminals of the coil, did mice chew through your wiring? Happened to me on another tractor.

If points, try running a DRY piece of paper board, construction paper through the closed points. See if there is any oil you can wipe off them. The job of the points is to GROUND the one side of the coil, while there is 12 Volts on the other side:

Great reading and educational on Brian Millers site: Ignition Solutions for Older Small Engines and Garden Pulling Tractors

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6018 Coil.JPG

She is running an LX770 and has less than 400 hours on her. I checked, and no spark. Here is a picture of the coil and what looks like the solid state module. Which would be the smart replacement first?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I checked, no critter damage. They don't seem to survive after I "feed" them in the fall.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as an added information point, when I was using her last year she had a tendency to start surging after a while. Still ran well and had plenty of power, but at idle she was sounding a bit off, almost like she wanted to quit on me. Would add a little throttle an she was start to smooth out, but not perfect. Didn't think much of it, as the carb had been rebuilt, new battery, oil changed and all systems had been throughly go over (professionally) and the gas I put in is always properly treated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It says in my book that the Ignition Control is 32294, Condenser is 32307 and Coil is 32296. Are these parts still available?

·
1,767 Posts
This thread should probably be in the ONAN engine section to get more Linmar experienced eyes on it.. Those Linmar's I Believe have a solid state ignition module behind the flywheel that does the job of the points and condensor.. and they tend to just up and quit one day.

you can verify that the coil is OK by checking the resistance - OHM's Between the 2 smaller wire terminals it should be 3 to 4 ohms. And NEITHER one of those, with wires disconnected should be shorted to ground. Then between the 2 spark plug wires it should be in the 10,000's of OHM, basically make sure its not Open.

Bill at Barneveld would also have those..
By Telephone:608-924-1662

By Fax: 608-319-4586
By E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do those checks in a few minutes. Machine is parked in my shed, up against the back and side walls. Getting to that Ignition Module might be somewhat "difficult" !!! OUCH !

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have a LX770 related manual the details the electrical? How about a trouble shooting guide?

·
1,767 Posts
You need to ask that in the ONAN forum. Because Onan manuals are separate from the Case manuals. I have had to TOW my 646 before.. When I first got it, the coil died on the back 40 and I use my 10 hp Case 155 to Tow it to the shop.

Does anyone have a LX770 related manual the details the electrical? How about a trouble shooting guide?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, my 448 is running, so there is the tow vehicle. How do I get the bucket raised?

·
1,767 Posts
Pull the upper or lower loader lift cylinder pins, jack the bucket up, and put 2 x 4 across the hood under arms. In my case I drop the bucket off the tractor if I need to do that. Poor Man's Quick Attach for Loaders...

OR, in my shop I use a 'come a long' hung from the rafter to raise the loader up.. Of course cylinders pins are pulled out .. 1st photo in this thread is my tractor with loader up and cylinders tied up out of the way: Early (1973) 646 Hood Modification to HINGED

·
Roger
14 Posts
Just turns over just fine, she just won't catch and fire up.
Check for power to coil from ignition switch. These onans like to eat the newer style switch it seems. Have had a 4020 and a 4016 do the same thing. Contacts in switch were bad. Put new switch in, fired up, and ran nicely.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a nothing update, but I haven't gotten back to her yet. I will try and break free tomorrow afternoon to do the key switch, coil and wire checks. I did go through once more to check for any signs of mice and came up empty. I also couldn't locate a condenser, so I am thinking that may be located underneath somewhere. Oh, she is a 2000 6018 with a Linamar LX 770 for power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hydro

The condenser is under the breather housing on the bracket that the breather box is bolted to.
Your electronic ignition should run fine with the condenser disconnected.
Even the points system will fire and usually run (poorly) with a bad condenser.
I have found broken lead wires at the wire connector going to the coil, coming from the module, next to impossible to see without removing the coil. If that is the case it probably won't fire at all or maybe if you wiggled the wires.

BTW the Linamar is an Onan built by Linamar same engine as the later Performers on our gt's, I believe they were built using Onan's dies and specs, keep in mind blocks and other parts were contracted to others, just like GM and other large corporations.

Best of luck.
Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts