Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another steering/axle issue on the project:

Someone tig welded the axle pivot pin to the frame, front and back! In order fix this right this is what I plan:
Grind the weld and pin flush with the frame.

Since I'm sure the tig weld has good penetration it probably won't come out at this point.

So, I plan to source a couple of shaft collars the size of the new pin.

Using the zerk hole as a pilot hole for a hole saw, cut through the weld with a hole saw the same OD as the shaft collar.

Do this front and back. Remove the junk parts . Now insert shaft collars into the frame holes and the pin into the shaft collars. Weld the collars to the frame.

In theory I should have a straight hole in the frame, through the collars that is the same size as my pin.

Does this sound like a plan? See any pitfalls? I mean besides the work!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
It sounds like a reasonable plan. My main concern would be with the hole saws drilling the exact diameter of hole you want. Of course, that isn't too big a deal if the hole isn't too oversize since you are going to do an alignment and then weld the collars into place. Of course, you will need a longer pivot pin, yes? Again, no big deal.. Go for it Ken.

Why not take photos as you go and make a thread about this in the Restorations section?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm wondering why a PO would have done that. Was he possibly trying to eradicate some front-to-back axle wobble? Perhaps by clamping/pressing it tight then welding to hold it? I'd want to check everything else first, you may repair it only to find you've now got whatever the original problem was that caused him to choose to do this.
I never gave the front axle too much thought till I saw what Grummy went through with his. Now I want to look real closely at mine. I just pulled it and I'm in the process of cleaning everything so I can get some measurements. I do have some play that might be excessive, but the pin doesn't appear to be too badly worn, rotating it made no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect that the pin had never been lubed, since the spindles are so badly worn. And like a lot of them I've seen, the pin seized in the axle, , broke the retaining bolt then worn the frame holes badly. But, he fixed it so that it would never do that again!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.