Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my 644 is working and being put to use, I have discovered the Left Rear Axel Seal is leaking.

Can this seal be replaced without removing the rear transaxle?

Where could I buy this part?
I have searched the part number (C 31945) but so far can't find any one that carries it, nor specs so I can find an equivalent replacement.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If you look in the tech section you should find a service manual for this and other issues related to the transaxle. One of the dealers should be able to get the necessary parts for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your right, I found the "axel and Axle seal replacement only" procedure of page 7 in service manual 9-99584. It CAN be done without complete removal of the transaxle... :thumbsup:
One of the rigid hydraulic motor tubes would not likely tolerate being removed one more time as it is twisted at one end and if it twists any more it's done. :facepalm: - Anyone have a pair of these tubes for sale?

As far as dealers, I have not had any luck so far with the google search. I've bought from M&D before, but their web side does not list the part.

Regarding my local dealer(S), when I call the local Case Implement Dealer, they refer me to a lawn mower repair shop that is suppose to be an authorized case parts supplier, but he has never had any part I have ever inquired about, nor has he offered any suggestions, so we won't go there :headscratcher: .

So I am asking if any of you know where the axel seals can be obtained?

·
Registered
141 Posts
silvertogold. The best repair is obviously new seals. Period. However the source of leaking worn seals is many times due to the trans axle being over filled. I suggest you change the fluid and refill to the correct level according to the owners manual.
I have had a number of tractors I have purchased which had been filled to the height of the rear access fill plug which caused a leak at the axle seal. Proper fill height correction in most all cases corrected the problem. Again, I want to state the permanent repair is new seals. No argruement there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just sent Brian a check for the parts. :trink:

Bison2500: I understand what your saying about possible overfill.....

When I acquired this 644, the inside of the left rear wheel was coated with old and new greasy dirt which was evidence of previous leakage. :eh:
I recently had the transaxle out to replace the hydraulic drive motor and had replaced the fluid in it at the same time (the transmission that is) and did in fact fill it to the 'fill hole'. :facepalm:

So from what your saying, I contributed to the problem, which I would completely agree, but the seals have likely never been replaced, so I'll proceed with that anyway. :gums:

But hey, let's not share that tiny bit of info about an overfill looking like a leaking seal with anyone else until Brian sells out his stock :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the axles out and replaced the seals - the one I was concerned about was in fact bad so this should help. I noticed wear on both axles where the inter bushings are located, once the wear starts, I'm guessing they need to be replaced. Anyone got any for sale?

Will axles from a 1977 446 work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the new seals from Brian worked! No more leak from that wheel- THANKS AGAIN Brian!!!!! :clap:

I guess I'll run it on the old axles till I can find some new ones, but I did discover why they grooved where the inner bushings are... Some knucklehead had obviously removed the axles some time in the past and I found BOTH Thrust Washers and BOTH Spacer Washers in the bottom of the transmission pan :eek: .

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
silvertogold said:
got the axles out and replaced the seals - the one I was concerned about was in fact bad so this should help. I noticed wear on both axles where the inter bushings are located, once the wear starts, I'm guessing they need to be replaced. Anyone got any for sale?

Will axles from a 1977 446 work?
If the tractor you own did not leave the factory with a backhoe on it and it has 15" rear rims, then the axles from a 446 will work. However, YOU can verify that by using the Tech Library/Parts Manuals section by looking up the Parts Manual for your tractor and finding the part number of the axles. Then make a comparison to the part number for the axles used in any of the 400 Series tractors. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.