Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front tires on the 646 are 5.70X8 and they need to be replaced before I put it to work. The only tires I can find in this size are trailer tires. I iknow they would work, but I would like something with more agressive treads. Any suggestions? :headscratcher:

Ted

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
That's a tough one.

There is the odd 2 ply rated tire out there but you should have 4 ply rated tires for this application. Is there a reason why you feel an aggressive tread is needed? I don't recall hearing a complaint about steering control on a 600 Series being an issue.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Now that we know the diameter, I'm waiting to hear the significance of that. :sidelaugh:

BTW...... some of those trailer tires have an 8 ply rating are are not much fun to mount or dismount. In your place, I would stick with 4 ply and only go to 6 ply if I was forced to.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hydriv said:
The stock rims are not wide enough to handle those tires.
Has anyone tried the Vredestein V61 170/60-8 (16 x 6.50-8) (6-ply) (tube type) for this application?
The M E Miller ad on Ebay shows the height to be 16.9" and width 6.7"
The price for 1 pair (TWO tires & TWO tubes) $110.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You would have to find wider rims to mount those tires on or split the stock rims and make them wider. The Vredesteins are a terrific tire design. I have not heard any negatives about them but they are meant to be mounted on rims such as those found on most of the 200 and 400 models. Rim size is very important to how a tire will perform. You also have to watch out for tire clearances when turning and on the center line of the tire. If you change the center line, then you change the geometry of the steering and that affects the way it handles. A wider tire puts a larger footprint on the ground. That might not matter too much with a GT but a loader that is capable of picking up 600 pounds and more is a different story, especially when you do not have power steering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.