Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Case 646 loader. Has a oil leak in rear axle. I pulled the home made weight box to find a brass plug in the level check hole with a 3/8" hole drilled through it. Can see the gear through hole. Looks like hydraulic oil oozing out after driving it.

A dealer says motor has blown seal squirting oil into axle. Anyone hear of this? But then he also told me it would cost $800+ to rebuild motor. Whaaat? :cry:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
OK... let's slow down a bit here.

Your tractor has an ID plate with the serial number on it. Find it and record it. Then go to the Technical library where the Parts Manuals are located. Find the correct manual for the serial number. Then find the page with the trans-axle on it. I want to be sure that you are on the same line of thought as everyone else. Trans-axles normally have a drain plug on the bottom and fill plug on the back of the housing. On some models, there is a level plug on the right side near the parking brake but when that plug is not present, the fill plug doubles as the level plug. I have not come across Case using a brass plugs and certainly not with a hole in them.

It is possible that the front seal of the motor has failed and allowing hydraulic oil to get past it and into the trans-axle. Eventually, the oil level in the trans-axle will rise to the point of being full and oil will begin to exit anywhere it can. If the seal is leaking, then the bearing in the motor may be worn and that's allowing the motor shaft to move slightly and cause the seal to fail. In other words, you could remove the motor, install a new seal and find out that it failed on you shortly afterward.

Used motors can be found on e-Bay. You can use any motor from a 400 series tractor. Loader tractors rarely get parted out so I wouldn't go looking for a 600 series motor. All you would be getting is yellow paint instead of red. The motors are the same. You could try replacing the seal and see how long it would last. Any decent hydraulics specialty shop would likely have that seal as part of their inventory along with a new O-ring to seal the motor casing to the trans-axle. It's certainly worth a try to buy you some time to figure out what's wrong.

Since you are new here, I suggest that you spend some time in the FAQ's section. You may find some reading that is of interest to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.