Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Case 648BH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I developed a leak on one of the lift cylinders on my 648BH. I am post sn 14063829 so my seal kit is 26445. I disassembled the cylinder in question. The tube is 2" ID and the rod is 1"OD. I was able to find the cup seals on mcmaster and the large oring on the cap boss. I also found a wiper of the correct dimensions on mcmaster. but, the rod seal disintegrated to the point where I can't even take measurements of it. so I bought three in the 1" ID category in the hopes one would fit. However the seals are pretty stiff and I'm not sure how to get them in or if they are an appropriate part. Any ideas on alternative sources or help with install? tks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm not sure of your location. Our dealers have supplied me with cylinder kits. When the kits were unavailable, (depends on the cylinder) a local hydraulics shop will be able to measure and supply the correct parts.

I found soaking the seals in hot engine oil helped make them more pliable during installation.

·
Registered
Case 648BH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip. I've been buying parts from dealers on cci but the 26445 seal kit is $120. its less than $20 in parts retail though so I have no idea why there's such a markup and the reason I didn't just get it there.

·
1,763 Posts
Getting Rod seals into the grand openings is no fun no matter what way you go at it.. I worked on a different cylinder recently and had to install a 1 inch OD rod seal through a 5/8 inch hole.

and yes preheating, boiling water, hot oil, etc. all make the job easier.. Depending on the size of seal and opening there are tools to help install them:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered kits from Grizzly Hydraulics for my 646, they even crossed to Case part #'s they are out of Washington, I believe. Pretty reasonable, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
Case 648BH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gary. I called them but they had no idea what I was talking about. May try again.

·
Administrator
5,992 Posts
Thanks Gary. I called them but they had no idea what I was talking about. May try again.
Read the below 2 post I'd done a couple of years ago. This is something I set up with Grizzly, and since I did only the below part numbers, if yours doesn't fall into those part numbers, they won't be able to help you. I was only working with the below. Anyone else, as long as your part numbers or serial numbers fall within what I posted you'd be good to go,,,

This post is to help other members, with our type of lift arm cylinders.

Anyone having to rebuild their boom lift arm cylinders? It can be an expensive experience, so hopefully, the following will help you a bit.

Anyways, if yours are weeping, or perhaps creeping down all signs they need to be redone.

These guys Complete sealing solutions from Grizzly Supplies for all equipment will now have in stock, cylinder rebuild kits for the lift arm cylinders for our 644/646/648's and D100's. It's the same kit part number as in the parts manual, follows serial numbers. The kit # is (C28788) but, this kit, also includes both internal spiral rings, versus just the one replacement internal spiral ring. (Those spiral rings, in essence they hold the gland in place, so they take all of the stress, every time you use those cylinders,, why replace one and not both?)

They have a shop both in Canada and in the US. Price wise, very reasonable and depending what currency you deal with, it's $19.95/kit Canadian or $13.95/kit U.S.

Cheap enough, that you can get a spare kit,,,

As well, I haven't done my bucket tilt cylinders as yet,, mainly because I was "lucky" and my first one wasn't leaking. Normally, I rebuild all my cylinders, but at roughly $120/kit US for 6 O'rings, I get turned off by that price! So, if I end up doing my bucket cylinder, I'll talk these guys to start stocking that kit as well, and I'll post it here.

Hopefully this provides our members with another alternative,

On post #268 in one of my 648 threads, I updated the other cylinders,,
Here's 2 kits #'s for the

Steering cylinder- JIC-648 steering kit. (Oring/seals/wipers rebuild kit for steering cylinder)

Bucket cylinder JIC-18574. (Oring/seals/wipers rebuild kit for bucket cylinder)

Price wise, all cylinder kits good enough that maybe dealers may want to check it out,,

For 644's, 646's & 648's serial numbers, (648 prior to 14063828) (648BH Your serial #14063829 so they will not be able to provide it for you) What you could do though, is purchase this one, OEM Case Ingersoll Rand Seal Kit Part # Is C26445 for sale online | eBay and send it Grizzly so they can enter it into a parts inventory, and in return, they'll send you yours, and a 2nd one at quite a bit less then the one you purchased. It only takes them a week to stick all the parts into the kit, enter into their inventory system and you'd be off to the races. This is how Grizzly got the sets they now sell, I sent it to them, and afterwards passed the benefit to the members here.

Available in 2 outlets Canada or in the US. Seattle/Vancouver.

Complete sealing solutions from Grizzly Supplies for all equipment

·
Registered
Case 648BH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is certainly a great way to do things and I'm glad grizzly is willing to do that.

to be clear my 648 was built in 1986 and has the C26433 lift arm cylinder with accompanying C26445 seal kit. this is true of all 648's post sn 14063829. This kit is 4x as expensive as the C28788 seal kit in use prior to sn 14063829.

That is a great idea to work with Grizzly to have this kit part of their inventory as well. however this is a new machine to me so I'm being careful how much money I dump into it.

This cylinder needs from top to bottom, one wiper, one oring, one seal, and two piston cup seals. on mcmaster I found the wiper for $2.02, the oring for $0.25, the seal for $4.30, and the cups for $6.66 ea. total = 19.89 not including shipping. I had all the pieces in hand except the wiper so I'm guessing on dimensions for that one. and I just couldn't square paying ~100. esp when I've had similar cylinders rebuilt for ~$100 professionally.

so, while this is all an interesting conversation all I really needed was the dimensions for the seal so I could source it myself. I intended to share my solution post install and testing as a viable alternative if it worked. this would add options to the work you've already done.

I also looked at Hercules for parts as well. They seemed to have everything too.

·
Registered
Case 648BH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turns out I missed an oring. the closes match is a 16mm ID, 2.5mm Xsection. I tried to match it up to a standard size but it was just too far off. seems to fit well. part of the piston seal arrangement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts