Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy :wave:

This is my first Case GT, one of two in my family.

HISTORY:
Bough used in 1969 by my Grandparents when my Dad was just old enough to do the garden tilling. Kept there for about three or four years, then sold to my Great Grandparents, where it was used as a mower and garden trailer hauler, nothing more. Around the year 2000 the engine was failing and was completely rebuilt by a local engine builder and put back to service until GG-PA passed on in 2002, when I inherited it. I then got it running, only to discover I didn't know anything about Hy Drive tractors, and the thing didn't move. Got a tip from family that the lovejoy was a good place to start, and it was. Replaced it, and must have done it wrong. Only lasted about five run hours. At that point I parked it in the field, it became a "cow scratching post," a shame I know now. But with all the other tractors between Dad and Grandpa we didn't need it.

Fast forward to April 2010:
After sitting in the field for a few years, a friend of mine was quizzing me on building a garden, and about good tillers. I told him to get a tractor. That's when I remembered the little Case 190, and told him he could "borrow" it as long as he had a good use for it. He took it home and fixed it up, the 190 is now a well-tuned hard working machine.

Attatchments:
At this time, I have the original tiller mounted, along with an '80's Murray 42" blade modified to fit the front, and an independent lift lever just for the blade. I also have the original mower deck, but it is failing. Spindles are shot, idler bearings are gone, and there are rust holes in a few places, but it is repairable. Also, on the back of the tiller, somebody (grandpa I suspect) built a pin type hitch bracket for pulling the garden trailer. The trailer is not an original, Grandpa built the frame with spare parts back around 1970 and the wood was rotten when I got it. It is now larger and rebuilt as a tilt-bed, but with the original frame intact. Last on the list is a single-row disc, also not of Case origin. Still need to convert that for use.

Mods:
First on the list I suppose is the tiller-mounted trailer hitch. Handy, but makes steering useless with any amount of tongue weight when pulling the trailer. Second is the front blade, check the pics for details...I may put a bicycle brake lever and cable on the lift lever to pull the angle catch, so I can change the blade angle without getting off the tractor. Also on the list is a completely home-built muffler. The old one-size-fits-all screw on tin can muffler was rusting to the point of rattling so I dug up some scrap metal and started welding.

Future mods:
I have decided to build a three point, I have lots of impliments that I would like to build and use. I've seen the way larger tractors with three point setups work and and it's a very versatile setup. I'd like to make use of this so I can use other CAT 0 impliments I find along the way.
Another modification I'd like to make is steering brakes. I have used steering brakes on large machines, including buldozers, and they are very handy, especially with the front blade or with a heavily loaded trailer in muddy situations.

The Rest:
This tractor is about 95% complete and original, right down to the rear tires. When my friend borroed it for a year, it went from rusted and fading original paint to the "wrong" color harvest orange. I don't have a problem with the color, just hope it doesn't offend anyone. Someday, when I run out of other projects, I'll tear down the whole thing and put the right colors back on, do a proper resto. It looks great all washed up, just not like it could when it was new.
Everything else works fine, might need to replace the upper steering coloumn bearing someday though. Still steers great for now, with exception of the worn out front tires. Drive's good, runs fantastic, tills with the best of them. Pretty good for something made over fort years ago!

There will be Pics very soon!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·


This is the first pic of my 190 on here...Paint, stickers, plastic chair, and help with fab work on the front blade courtesy of Karl, the same friend who borrowed this unit for tilling his garden last year. Check the stickers, it says "65" and I have since found it to be "66".
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top